Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunt Ohio Farms program discontinued

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse- This might not ALWAYS be the case, but I do know from talking to our local WO that HE issues them. In the two instances he told me about they were being handled at the local level.

I don't ever recall our GW having a thing to do with nuisance permits when I was filling them. If you needed more, you called the FB and asked for them...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I don't ever recall our GW having a thing to do with nuisance permits when I was filling them. If you needed more, you called the FB and asked for them...

FB has nothing to do with it, I'm active enough in our county FB that if they had anything to do with the process I'd know. At one time (I think it was in-season permits) you got them from the Soil and Water Conservation office which is part of the ODNR. At least in Mahoning and Columbiana counties the Wildlife Officer comes out to inspect the damage before issuing the crop damage permits. He drops off tags and handles the paper work. If a buck is shot the WO comes out to get the antlers. From what I see Columbiana co(zone C) WO almost always issues them the Mahoning co(zone B) WO about 80% of the time.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
FB has nothing to do with it, I'm active enough in our county FB that if they had anything to do with the process I'd know. At one time (I think it was in-season permits) you got them from the Soil and Water Conservation office which is part of the ODNR. At least in Mahoning and Columbiana counties the Wildlife Officer comes out to inspect the damage before issuing the crop damage permits. He drops off tags and handles the paper work. If a buck is shot the WO comes out to get the antlers. From what I see Columbiana co(zone C) WO almost always issues them the Mahoning co(zone B) WO about 80% of the time.

I'd have to check with the grandfather-in-law to verify, but I am almost 100% certain whoever he called to get his permits (in the summer) was not the DNR. I thought the lady he talked to worked for, or in conjunction with the FB. I'll have to ask him next time I see him. All I know for sure is that I never once had to deal with the DNR as the shooter...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

This is what I always thought, too. The cases that I've heard of involved the GW coming out to the property to make an "assessment" first...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am not going to tell you this is ALWAYS the way it works Jesse. I don't know. What I do know is our local game warden took requests from the airport, looked into them, and issued the nuisance permits to the shooter at the local airport. I was asking him if there was anyone else because I was looking for some deer blood for training Hank to track deer last year. He told me about some farmers he had just issued some permits to as well. So like I said, I don't know if this is always the case, but in these two instances he was the man issuing them. I had spoken to him directly.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I could be wrong or her grandpa could have misspoke when explaining to me what was going on. It has also been a few years TOO. I'll see him this weekend and check my "facts"...