Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Huck's Hunts

Huckleberry Finn

Thurs - Hunted the Big Woods 2-dark; skunked

Fri - Sat with Hoytmania all day, saw 3. All too small and too far away.

Sat - Hunting the AM and PM; skunked.

Pretty frustrating...ready to let the 870 bark.

Does Sightings: 6
Bucks Sightings: 6
Total Sightings: 12

Morning Hunts: 4
Evening Hunts: 4
All Day: 1
Skunked Hunts: 3
Total Hunts: 9

Hours on Stand: 38

--

I have found that I'm doing a better job getting to the stand (ie getting out of bed) when I should. My all-day sit on Friday was one of few.

I did snap this picture, I guess the takeaway is that it when the movement is slow, it's always a better hunt with someone else. Thanks for having me out again, Steve.

double stand.jpg

Not sure if I'll hunt this weekend during youth season or not....ready for gun season. I do want to do some lane trimming, so if I do anything, it'll focus on that.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Nice pic! I like it. Guessing by the placement of the shadow that was probably around noonish. I sure wish we would of had more action. My pleasure hosting you bro.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very cool pic Huck! It was great that you two got to "hang"out together! That woods is almost TOO open and clear! Lol. That's a beautiful looking woods Steve, what types of trees are most present?

Huckleberry Finn

Very cool pic Huck! It was great that you two got to "hang"out together! That woods is almost TOO open and clear! Lol. That's a beautiful looking woods Steve, what types of trees are most present?

Steve has more pictures in his thread. That picture is fairly deceptive, that's the killing lane right there! One of the coolest stands I've ever sat in...

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
There is a lot of oaks and elms in this woods. Some hickory also.
I have the pics on my other phone. It is one of my favorite sets.

Huckleberry Finn

Does Sightings: 13
Total Sightings: 21

Morning Hunts: 5
Evening Hunts: 5
All Day: 2

Hours on Stand: 48

--

Sat dark to dark, saw 7 does. Heard plenty of shooting all day. Unbelievable that it didn't push more deer past me.

The highlight was at 830 when 5 does came through a shooting lane at 50 yards. I wasn't sure on the first one for some reason and figured I'd passed to the second to determine size. The second was a yearling. Third was medium sized. I said to myself 'shit, better shoot one of the next two'...deer four and five were yearling....should shot the first deer I saw of the day and made it a 1 shot, 1 deer day (and hell, probably season). Lesson learned.

Huckleberry Finn

Does Sightings: 17
Total Sightings: 23

Morning Hunts: 7
Evening Hunts: 6

Hours on Stand: 58

--

Can't beat Predator gear for weather like this weekend. Kept me warm but only saw deer hauling ass.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I guess sometimes it just isn't meant to be. Good luck if you get back out for any late bow season or muzzle loader season Steve.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You're not alone in a rough season brother. It appears this will be the trend for years to come also. As long as you're enjoying yourself out that, I guess that is what matter. Maybe you're due for a trip south. :smiley_coolpeace:

Huckleberry Finn

You're not alone in a rough season brother. It appears this will be the trend for years to come also. As long as you're enjoying yourself out that, I guess that is what matter. Maybe you're due for a trip south. :smiley_coolpeace:

Just saw this man! I was sitting in the stand this morning thinking about my last snowy muzzleloader season down at your place a few years back.

--

Does Sightings: 22
Total Sightings: 28

Morning Hunts: 8
Evening Hunts: 67

Hours on Stand: 64

Updated stats of the year.

Sat in my gun ladder stand this morning. Stood up for the first stretch of the day about 20 minutes after legal light and spooked 2 little does that I've seen in there before. I would have been tempted to shoot if given the chance, so it's probably best that I wasn't. I sat until about 930 after a freezing half and hour of the gusting wind. I wasn't bone cold at that point, but it wasn't far off. Heard 3 shots this am.

After some fuggin around, got into a stand on a bow-only property this evening. My "settled sit" was probably 2 hours. Not to be skunked, I had 3 does come up to 60 yards with about 10 minutes left on the shooting clock. They eventually fed off.

Looking grim at this point, but hopefully I'll get out another weekend and so and see if I can make something happen late-season. Never done that before, so it'd be cool if it did.