Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How's shed hunting going?

The past few weeks, I have scoured my property (total of 300 acres so it's a big area) for sheds and have not found anything. I checked notorious bedding areas, buck trails, fence lines, and thickets and haven't found a thing. There are plenty of big bucks out there, as I bagged a nice 9 point out there this year. I know the property is large and there is a huge amount of land to cover, but this has been kind of disappointing to me. Mind you this is my first year hunting out there as well. I talked to a friend the other day that said they had a few bucks on trail cam that were still antlered. Yet I went shed hunting the other day with a buddy that found 2 sheds in a half an hour (you could tell they were very fresh)! So I was just wondering how everyone else was doing out there?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/forumdisplay.php?67-Ohio-Shed-Hunting

Welcome To TOO! Hope you stick around awhile...
What County are you from ?
How long you been hunting?
Deer the only thing you hunt?
Tell us a little more about you if you don't mind?

Ditto

Congrats on the two you found but in some areas many are still carrying and will so for the next month. IMO, some after green up or after many just stop hunting for them. Those are the ones usually found by the turkey and morel mushroom hunters.

Welcome to TOO....BTW

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Welcome to TOO.
It's been slow for me this year as well. It's still early, but green up is fast approaching and the sheds will be harder to find when that happens.
Good luck!

Thanks guys! I've been hunting for about 5 years now. This is the first year I have really gotten into archery. I hunt in summit county and wayne county. Haven't checked my property in wayne county yet, but I'll have to. The summit county is the property where I shot my buck at. Great place to hunt, except not much food around for them since it is more urban. Plenty of thunderchickens out there too. Can't wait for that!!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Welcome too the site... I'm like you have spent a lot of time looking just not finding lol.... The odds are in my favor that I'll eventually find one lmao.... I'm over in Columbiana county but we do have a decent amount of members over in your neck of the woods....

Thanks guys! I've been hunting for about 5 years now. This is the first year I have really gotten into archery. I hunt in summit county and wayne county. Haven't checked my property in wayne county yet, but I'll have to. The summit county is the property where I shot my buck at. Great place to hunt, except not much food around for them since it is more urban. Plenty of thunderchickens out there too. Can't wait for that!!!!

This might sound strange but is the property your hunting PPG Ground? as I am pretty sure I recognize your avy picture from a guy at work showing me...(I work at PPG).

Anyways if so don't feel bad I haven't found any out there either. Just moved out here this year so learning the property.

That is really ironic because that is where I hunt! Lol my father work for PPG and he got me permission this year out there. My name is Sam Manning by the way. And I love it out there. It's great terrain and it's got plenty of deer. Just warning you though, do not put tree stands up or trail cams up out there. Had my trail cam jacked this year by someone and I use a climbing stand. A lot of people trespass out there. Have you hunted out there yet?

Thanks! Glad to hear there's plenty from my neck of the woods lol. I live in Northwest Ohio right now because I go to school at Bowling Green State University. I'm President of the bass fishing club up here actually. B

Just seems pretty slow right now in many areas, but then again some areas people are finding a lot. Maybe location has a lot to do with finding sheds. I saw a buddy's picture on Instagram and he found a bunch of sheds, which I think was somewhere 9in Southern Ohio.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Beds. Edges. Travel corridors. Bedding areas being number 1 place "I" find them. Edges second because generally in NW Ohio there are few wood lots. Transitioning from field to woods or bedding areas is easily covered by hunting for sheds along the edges. Also helps locate trails or travel corridors I might have previously overlooked. Travel paths are last because it seems "to me" these are the heavily used doe trails. I could be full of bad info. Just seems like the way it works in my areas. Travel paths also seem to take me on some random routes which tend to split or veer off in one way or another. They don't go straight N/S or E/W like our highways take us in our vehicles. Looking down for sheds I tend to follow a path and look up realizing I just went back to an area I had just searched. lol

PPG? Bow only areas? We maintain the local PPG grounds for snow and some other property maintenance. It is a PPG warehouse. They don't really have any huntable ground. They do have plenty of signs which say "no guns" or "no smoking."