Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

how you all doing with your bucks this year?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I havent got to check my cams for a bit, but I am hoping to get to check them soon. I had one buck that was a crappy angle look like he was BIG but that was about two weeks ago. He had 4 inch brows and was outside his ears.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My target buck possibly made his first appearance on Saturday. I fully expect to see him on the new camera set I hung yesterday. I'll check it Saturday when I hang my new set on that end of the ridge. He should be a 150ish main framed 8 with split G2s this year as a 4.5 year old. Hoping he'll be 20+ wide TOO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It is a bit early for me to know. I have been busy working and I have some pictures of a handful growing. I know they are there. I know they are growing. I know they aren't going anywhere. I only have 2 cameras out though. 11 cameras awaiting placement and 2 more coming. I am hoping to keep dibs on 4 properties this year and hunt smart because I am not going to have as much opportunity to get out this year.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Havent got to check the one camera im excited to check yet but others are kinda slow.... ready for the beans to start growing and the deer to start showing back up. Not stressing to much tho.... its really early still.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I'm with Rutin... I'm trying not to get my hopes up now lol. Getting the cameras out hopefully this weekend.

I agree, I had cams up last year and got a nice buck on camera! I had found big 144in sheds from the year before, but last year as soon as hunting season started they started to log much of the surrounding area. It was a real let down!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
that would be discouraging AT. On the flipside, we are working an area real hard right now which is normally one of our "sanctuary areas". It was a necessity though because we need to be able to get a 20+' planter, combine, and tractors through part of it. We have had dozers, excavators, and a tracked skid loader in there with a grinding attachment which shreds trees/stumps. Excavator made the creek crossing a reality for the farm equipment. There were areas where dirt was piled and deer had walked to the top of the piles. They are curious critters. Even with the logging, I think you would be surprised how quick some of the deer filter back in. This year and the next few as the new growth comes back up you should see amazing cover in the logged areas!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
that would be discouraging AT. On the flipside, we are working an area real hard right now which is normally one of our "sanctuary areas". It was a necessity though because we need to be able to get a 20+' planter, combine, and tractors through part of it. We have had dozers, excavators, and a tracked skid loader in there with a grinding attachment which shreds trees/stumps. Excavator made the creek crossing a reality for the farm equipment. There were areas where dirt was piled and deer had walked to the top of the piles. They are curious critters. Even with the logging, I think you would be surprised how quick some of the deer filter back in. This year and the next few as the new growth comes back up you should see amazing cover in the logged areas!

Hicks it SUCKED! On the flip side thou, the area is going to get so thick! It is rough area, and I am pumped to have this area thicker then hell!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sorry to hear it. I guess chalk it up to short term sacrifice for what is going to be killer habitat over the next few years. Not much we can do about some things.