Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How much do I love my Scent Smoker?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Works like a charm on elk, Chuck. Steve Bowsier had a young bull lick him as he sat on a stump. This happened after it had walked all around him trying to smell him. The one I shot in NM on my first trip was 4 steps from me and didn't know I was there until I shot him!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Why do so many run them over with a truck? Yimmj sent me a note this morning saying he needed another one as he ran his over with a truck too! hehe

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I can hang mine from the hitch with the curved piece of metal that fits around the smoker. I will take a pic and show you what I am talking about and get it posted up.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's what I do as well Adam. I also carry a piece of ceramic tile so I can sit it in the truck and smoke up the inside of the truck every so often.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I've never used one, does it really help on scent control?

Its the best thing out there bar none in opinion. When I first read about it I was very sceptical. So I thought I would try before I buy type thing. Made my own out of a force can and legs and just used leaves that I had raked up in the yard. Couldn't believe the results I was getting. So I bought a smoker and haven't looked back since. The hickory chips smell way better than burnt leaves by the way.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never used one, does it really help on scent control?

Customizer- There are no guarantees in deer hunting, but you already know that. Smoke up all you want, but I would still suggest taking all the steps you can prior. I am anal about my clothes. They are washed, dried, stored in totes, AND smoked up. Clean clothes do hold the smoke better. I also still shower up prior to each hunt. Doesn't mean the deer might not smell my breath or bug out for no reason, but I can tell you I have had more deer downwind of me since buying my smoker than before smoking up. They are sometimes curious, but not "spooky" usually. Movement is still going to get you busted. hahah

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Does it sit on your safety chain hook?

Sure does. I think it works pretty good.

Really makes people look at your truck funny when it's smoking like a chimney parked at the side of the road lmao. Thought for sure somebody would call the local volly fire department for a car fire one morning it was smoking so bad. Needless to say I did not hear any sirens roaring down the road so I guess if it really does catch on fire I'm screwed cuase nobody will call it in until it's a smoldering pile of melted metal lol.

Oh, and you could also set it on a fire brick in the back of a pick-up kind of like what Jesse does with the tile. Fire brick is for the inside lining of a woodburner or fireplace so I would trust it to not let the hottest of embers in the SS not cinge or melt anything under the brick lol.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Customizer- There are no guarantees in deer hunting, but you already know that. Smoke up all you want, but I would still suggest taking all the steps you can prior. I am anal about my clothes. They are washed, dried, stored in totes, AND smoked up. Clean clothes do hold the smoke better. I also still shower up prior to each hunt. Doesn't mean the deer might not smell my breath or bug out for no reason, but I can tell you I have had more deer downwind of me since buying my smoker than before smoking up. They are sometimes curious, but not "spooky" usually. Movement is still going to get you busted. hahah

What he said. I'm every bit as anal with my scent control, I just cover what I miss with a familiar smell. This place is full of former skeptics, myself included. My honest opinion is using the smoker has been the single best change I have made in my hunting since I started. It has been a total game changer for me and I won't hunt without it...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I also started using the SS last year and had some good results with it. It's worth the time and money IMO. I had mature does downwind of me while on the ground during several occasions last year and they stayed within range for quite a while. I also used it in the upper peninsula of Michigan where the deer are ULTRA wary! I had success using it there also, and that is saying something.

ohio

Oh I agree, I've just been curious about the whole smoker thing, I'm very anal about scent control as well totes with leaves clothing hung outside etc etc just ask my scent lock suit wearing buddies, last season I had a small 8 I was playing with for a couple hours, he was under, and all around me, he walked to my buddy Steve busted, walked to Travis, busted he came back to me lol I txt them and said how's those suits working out for ya? lol

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I was one of the last converts. I was the guy that washed my clothes in powder free nitrile gloves....

The Smoker rocks!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Oh I agree, I've just been curious about the whole smoker thing, I'm very anal about scent control as well totes with leaves clothing hung outside etc etc just ask my scent lock suit wearing buddies, last season I had a small 8 I was playing with for a couple hours, he was under, and all around me, he walked to my buddy Steve busted, walked to Travis, busted he came back to me lol I txt them and said how's those suits working out for ya? lol

Ask mike Rex how many scent lock suits he and his boys have that small like smoke. I bet it every one they have.