Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How I found TOO

Cspot.... Pa hunting sites???. I was on both...HuntingPa.com and PFSC.... I organized two big striper trips on HuntingPa, that because of certain members developed into a clusterf*&^... Shortly after that I went over to Brads site PFSC and found it boring... Funny one day I went on HuntingPa to find I got banned.... HUH, FOR WHAT???? Non-participation???? Oh well their loss... My screen name on there was 35Whelan.....

Yes I am on both HPA and also PFSC. Go by the same screen name. HPA was a good site, but has gone down hill tremendously since they switched to a new site and the ownership changed. Still some good info and people on there. I am also on PFSC, but that site tends to talk more politics than it does hunting.

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Maybe that's how I got banned... They cleaned up users that haven't signed on for a long period....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Cspot... No need to ask.... Probably wouldnt post anyway.... No real reason to post over there.. But thanks anyway...

Reactions: cspot

Fletch

Supporting Member
Funny soon as a site becomes money hungry it goes in the shitter... Years ago there was a site in Jersey called New Jersey Hunter that was sold to a group out of state... Soon members started leaving...

Funny soon as a site becomes money hungry it goes in the shitter... Years ago there was a site in Jersey called New Jersey Hunter that was sold to a group out of state... Soon members started leaving...

That is an issue when sites start taking on advertisers. Advertisers start complaining when members start promoting or mentioning competing companies in the course of threads. This leads to censorship and people get upset. That happened on HPA. PFSC doesn't have that, but there isn't a ton of members there and like I said the political discussions seem to pretty much dominate the board.

When HPA changed to a different board it really hurt the forum traffic. Not sure of the numbers, but it seemed to happen a little bit on here recently when it was switched. TOO seems to be picking back up now. HPA never seemed to recover.

Wmiller07

I was looking around for information on waterfowl hunting. I found a different site but it wasn't a community like this one is. I really enjoy that we can disagree and still be cool with each other.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Wondered what was going down way back yonder on another site. Sent a note to Jesse via PM and was directed to a place where the grass was actually greener as this site was turning the lights on.

Reactions: finelyshedded

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
When HPA changed to a different board it really hurt the forum traffic. Not sure of the numbers, but it seemed to happen a little bit on here recently when it was switched. TOO seems to be picking back up now. HPA never seemed to recover.

I can see why it would appear that way. The site upgrade was timed with our yearly low spot in traffic. Hunting forums go through seasonal traffic patterns with Shotgun season being the peak and the end of March being the lowest. I timed the upgrade to coincide with that dip but backed it off a few weeks so as not to impact the upswing you're seeing now leading in to turkey season.

I've been keeping a close eye on traffic this year and comparing it to last year. Traffic and posts have kept pace as expected for this time of year. We will see a bump for turkey season and then a slight lull again for a month and a half from June to mid july. From june until after gun season its a sharp ramp up.

I can see why it would appear that way. The site upgrade was timed with our yearly low spot in traffic. Hunting forums go through seasonal traffic patterns with Shotgun season being the peak and the end of March being the lowest. I timed the upgrade to coincide with that dip but backed it off a few weeks so as not to impact the upswing you're seeing now leading in to turkey season.

I've been keeping a close eye on traffic this year and comparing it to last year. Traffic and posts have kept pace as expected for this time of year. We will see a bump for turkey season and then a slight lull again for a month and a half from June to mid july. From june until after gun season its a sharp ramp up.

That is good to know. Yes the March time frame is usually slow. HPA did there upgrade at the end of October which was really bad timing. I would say that they have more "older" members so that led to frustration with the new technology and people leaving the site. The drop in participation there was very noticeable and it still hasn't recovered. Don't know if it ever will. I think being owned by a large corporation also caused the board to lose that family and friend cabin feel to the site as well.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
like many others I started on the other forum and I was young - 16 years old maybe..... I was a young guy and basically after years of dealign with never getting a honest answer, watching everything get put down, etc. I decided to say screw this! I joined the QDMA forum and I enjoyed it a lot but it was very niche focused in comparison to a more generalized outdoor forum. I am not sure exactly how I came across this one but when I did, I was happy I found it.

Jesse and I met a time or two and its just been great over the years. Chad met me one time and I was goign to buy a stand off him and he gave it too me, freaking nice guy! Several other guys and I have connect on FB and I feel like I know them so well. This site is just full of flat out good people and Ive enjoyed the ride.

I do still login a lot, just very busy so dont get to post as much as I used too.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
My Bro “finallyshedded” got me here! He told me several times to log on and check it out. After learning how to turn on my smart phone!😂 I logged on one day.
I’ve since met some of the best fellers around and had the pleasure of sitting beside them around a campfire!
Lots of laughs and lessons learned on TOO!

Thanks Joe and Jesse for starting this site!