Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Horizontal rubs and rubbing posts..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It is getting close. In the next 1-2 months I think my velvet will be peeled. My testosterone levels will be increasing. I will be less tolerant of disturbances. I will likely shred some saplings while I'm at it. Am I alone in my thinking? Anyone else feel this way? Lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
It is getting close. In the next 1-2 months I think my velvet will be peeled. My testosterone levels will be increasing. I will be less tolerant of disturbances. I will likely shred some saplings while I'm at it. Am I alone in my thinking? Anyone else feel this way? Lol
I've been that way since February 7th, non stop 24/7, can't get those fuggin deer off my mind! Going hard this year, hopefully I can keep the streak of good luck going. I'm ready for some all day sits, I missed that last year. Plus it was 70 fuggin degrees in November, fugg that chit!

Bigcountry40

I heard of a guy who used white 5 gallon buckets to draw deer closer to his stand and stop where he wanted them to for a shot. They are curious creatures and playing on that is not a bad idea...
Also heard this as well, I've read of people using long tall traffic cones. I would think the new scent would warn/caution mature whitetails from using typical trail.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Holy thread revival!!
I got a chuckle when I read the post about the guy with the land in MI. I can see if you have the money (but not the time) having someone come in to create some food plots and do some TSI for bedding to try and keep the deer on your ground, but creating HUNDREDS or mock scrapes, prepared deer beds, and 'escape' routes! There you gotta have more money than brains if you think that is gonna help (my worthless opinion of course).
So did anyone try making a horizontal rub? Not hundreds, but at least one???

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Holy thread revival!!
I got a chuckle when I read the post about the guy with the land in MI. I can see if you have the money (but not the time) having someone come in to create some food plots and do some TSI for bedding to try and keep the deer on your ground, but creating HUNDREDS or mock scrapes, prepared deer beds, and 'escape' routes! There you gotta have more money than brains if you think that is gonna help (my worthless opinion of course).
So did anyone try making a horizontal rub? Not hundreds, but at least one???
Boarhead has a couple out now, I'm putting 2 in tomorrow.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
My fried who did it last year said he was waiting till September so the pine branches would be fresh/sappy. Not sure if he read that or not?
If I recall correctly, they did not see much attention last year till a bit later, sometime in October.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
My fried who did it last year said he was waiting till September so the pine branches would be fresh/sappy. Not sure if he read that or not?
If I recall correctly, they did not see much attention last year till a bit later, sometime in October.
Sounds about right, I'm not waiting until September though;)

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

Got one in today so far. Hung a piece of brown rope that I frayed at the end, we'll see if they use it.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Looks good!
I asked my buddy about timing. He said he read the fresher they are, the better. That way the sap is not all dried out and holds the scent of the other deer that have rubbed on it. True or not, fugg I don't know... U probably don't want a completely dried out dead stick. If you do have the time, maybe just take a new one in when you were planning to re-hydrate/scrape up the old one?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Was it alive or dead? If alive, I hope it makes it. If dead, I hope it anchors in and doesn't get knocked down by one of the Stark County monsters.