Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Honey hole buck part 2

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
Well guys, after last season I thought I would never be able to hunt my honey hole again but after a lot of bullshit with the owner I pulled it off. When I say a lot of bullshit this is what I mean. I asked permission this year to hunt on his property that is only 11 acres. This is with his huge house and a big yard with a pond on the property, after that its about 8 acres of hard woods. He gave permission to Ryan and I to hunt there this year in July. We were pumped and put in a stand in the same spot I shot a buck out of last year. About a month later while I checked a trail cam he called me into his house. He showed me a part of his basement that he wanted my "help" for doing a skilled tile job. This required taking out some carpet and cutting and laying tile along with all the prep work that we would have to do. I had no problem helping him out with the job because this guys house is a million dollar house and figured if he screwed something up it wasn't my fault. The owner is not that kind of guy it turns out. He showed me the area and said this is your job to hunt here. I mentioned that I had never done a tile job before and didn't feel comfortable doing it myself. He then said well it's either that or replace a roof!!! I quickly said your crazy about the roof because thats like a $20,000 dollar job for the size of his roof. Needless to say, I said fine to the tile job and I'll get someone to do the job that I would just pay. I got a guy to come over and give me an estimate three days after he assigned me the job. I called the owner just to make sure I could bring someone over and he told me to hold off. It was a little puzzling but didn't think anything of it.

Come to find out he had two other guys doing that job for hunting rights on his property (this comes into play later on). Now before you guys feel like I am complain about an owner just trying to get what he can out of his land let me explain. His daughter and I are really good friends and I have helped her out quite a bit. Second, I have had my dad talk to him about logging his property because an Amish guy offered him $22,000 to take over 60 trees that would have devalued his property more than that while he was trying to sell it. I have helped him myself with his landscaping and considered us friends. The only reason I tell you this is because he now wanted to make it just business and nothing else. He first said that since he took care of the tile he wanted $500 to hunt and for me to paint his ceilings in this huge house. It started as a $300 dollar tile job that I could have gotten done and then the price went up. We went back and forth and I finally said that I would just pull the stand and be done with it. He said offer a fair price and I told him $250 to hunt from opening day till December 1st. He came back with higher prices but I told him I couldn't come up with anymore. Now comes into play the other hunters... I asked him before we agreed on terms if he was letting anyone else hunt and he told me he didn't sign any other permission slips. Come to find out he was letting at least three other guys hunt there besides Ryan and I. I got to talk to one of the guys that were doing the tile job and he actually gave me his number. He turned out to be a great guy and said his buddy and him wouldn't go into there until after December 1st. He told me since I was there first, he didn't want to screw me up at all while I was hunting. BUT this other guy he gave permission to (5th guy total) set up a shitty ground blind 60 yards from my stand. I was upset and I talked to the owner about the other hunter being so close to me. The owner originally told me that he wouldn't allow more than 2 hunters at a time (which this property was too small for anyway). The top section where I hunt, he would let only 1 person hunt and the bottom section separated by the pond someone else could hunt. Then after I talked to him about the other guy being so close he said that that the top section was not exclusive to me. Next, he added that the other guy would be hunting weekend nights and I could only hunt in the mornings on the weekends (my only time to hunt is weekends). I was pissed but couldn't give up this property so I bit my tongue and just said forget it. There is other things that happened between the owner and I but I'm giving the short story so, TIME FOR THE HUNTING STORY HAHA SORRY FOR THE RANT.

I had been seeing a lot of deer just not any shooters until yesterday. I got into my stand around 6:15am, I put some corn and apples down and had a deer come in within a minute after I got in my stand. It was too dark to see what it was and I could only make out a dark object moving towards the corn. I didn't even have my bow off the ground yet when the deer was feeding. I was lucky that it was windy that morning and kinda noisy. I quietly pulled up my bow, nocked an arrow, put on my release, and gloves and face mask before it was light enough to shoot. I am standing there as it starts getting lighter and lighter praying that it is a shooter buck at the corn. The body looked big and the lighter it got I swear I saw huge antlers on it. My heart starts pumping and my knees at one point started to shake and I still didn't even know what it was in front of me lol. I pulled out my range finder to get a magnified view of the deer and realized it was a smaller buck. Turns out to be a 7 point that was in the morning before. I watch this buck eat till around 7 and he bedded down twelve yards behind my stand. I'm now stuck with my bow in hand standing up which I don't mind but tell you the truth my bow gets heavier and heavier after holding it up for a while. After about ten minutes (7:30) and a doe starts heading my way with her fawns. The 7 point immediately jumped up and started chasing her down. The fawns took off and for about 5 minutes it was like a game of cat and mouse with the buck and doe. They then headed into another wood lot and everything calmed down for a minute. Around 7:40 the 7 point came walking back in and checked/marked a scrape about thirty yards to my stand. As I watch him I noticed the doe start walking back into the woods. My first thought was damn she must not be in heat (before being chased she peed in another scrape that was about 25 yards from me). Well before that thought finished in my head my shooter 8 came walking in behind her. He saw the smaller 7 and took off after him. The doe stood there and then came back down and around me at about 30 yards. She was directly behind my stand about 20 yards when I noticed the my buck starting to come back. I was hoping he would walk a trail back down to her because it was about a 15 yard shot but instead he walked right at me. As he got behind some trees I pulled back and followed him walking right at me. I could have taken a hard quartering at me shot but would rather let him get away than take a bad shot. He actually walked just about right under me and stopped five yards past my stand. He was quartering away and I had just about a straight down shot. I put the pin behind his shoulders, on his spine, and moved slightly to the right to at least take out one full lung. I let the arrow go and the shot was better than I thought it was going to be. I saw it go in and out the opposite side front shoulder and then about fell out of the stand because I wanted to jump down. I watched him go 35 yards and fall over, he got up and went 5 more yards then fell for the last time.

I was so excited I couldn't even stand due to shaking so bad after he dropped. My first call as always was to my father that was hunting in New York at the time. Can't express how much it means to me to make the old man proud and thank him for everything he has instilled in me as a man and hunter. Nothing like sharing an experience with someone like that. My next call was to Ryan to let him know he has this stand until December 1st. Now its his turn and I cannot wait to start an I know something thread!!! Sorry for any typos but I don't feel like proofreading and if you want to watch the action take place from my roscoby riser cam I'll put the link down below. After the shot I was watching the buck with my eyes not the camera so don't bother watching the final seconds because nothing happens lol. Thanks for reading guys!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwN6-SspdMk&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Shoulder Blade

That better be a special place. If I had to deal with that, friend of daughter or not, I would've told him to f off and 5 months later turfed his lawn up.

Nice deer anyways.

Hopefully that other place will work out sooner rather than later.

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
A couple of pictures I forgot to add
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384223650.053326.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384223663.203248.jpg

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Very Nice !!!! Can't believe the guy would even mention doing a roof to hunt some property. I'd hunt public before putting up with that crap plus hes lieing to you about how many people he will let hunt.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Guy sounds like a douche. Why does he want work and money so you can hunt when he lives in a million dollar house? Anyways, nice buck and cool video!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congratulations Nick! Very nice looking buck TOO! It's a damn shame what you had to go though just to have permission to hunt this property! Thanks for sharing your story.

Good luck to Ryan now!

It's pretty cool seeing the love and respect a son has for his father through hunting. :smiley_clap:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That better be a special place. If I had to deal with that, friend of daughter or not, I would've told him to f off and 5 months later turfed his lawn up.

Nice deer anyways.

Hopefully that other place will work out sooner rather than later.

Yep. He would not have liked what I would have said about that situation.

Congrats on a great buck Nick!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats on a nice buck. I must say you are a more of a calm man than I would have been with that dirt bag. He lives in a million dollar house because of everyone he deals with a rough hand.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I would have told him where he could put his lips. No deer is worth that crap imo. Congrats regardless!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
First off, congrats on another fine buck! Funny how you completely forget the Riser Cam is on your bow after the shot goes off. Those things end up looking like you bungie jumped out of your tree stand after the shot. lmao

Secondly, I am afraid this guy is in need of some ground rules. His property. I get it. Doesn't give him the right to lie to you, take advantage of you, or manipulate you. Truthfully, for the price of the roof or tile work he expects, you could go lease some nice ground. This guy is being a jerk.

Happy to see you connect on another fine buck.