Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Home Remedies & Repairs

Blan37

SW Ohio
Not sure if this fits nicely into the 'remedy and repair' category, but I've been learning a few knots lately that have really come in handy with a few things around the house.

Truckers hitch. Gives you a mechanical advantage when you cinch it up and is easy to keep tight while you finish securing it with a few half-hitches. I use it to bind up broken down boxes and to cinch things on my trailer.

Another one that I really like is the bowline knot. Advantage is that no matter how much tension you put on the loop it is easy to untie.

Here's the truckers hitch: http://www.animatedknots.com/truckers/#ScrollPoint

And the bowline: http://www.animatedknots.com/bowline/#ScrollPoint

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sitting on the couch tonight it sounded like someone was running a leaf blower outside. I walk out and realize it was my old as Moses AC. The condenser fan motor had locked up. I went ahead and pulled it but it left me without AC. I did have a shop fan, duct tape, and cardboard though. Bam! Redneck condenser fan. I covered the cardboard with some tin after the picture to keep moisture off it until Thursday when the new motor arrives.

The AC is original to the house installed in 1972. The inside and outside blower motors were made by the same company but different models. The inside one went out last February, the outside one tonight. So they lasted 45 years and died within 6 months of each other. They don't make shit like that anymore.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Good Job Joe.

How do I get "crude" off my AC ribs? Not sure if ribs is the right term but the thin black ribbing that runs around the outside of AC.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
There is a comb you can buy specifically for that. Its help clean them, but more importantly, it straightens them. Best bet is to ask Steve (Hoytmania)

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
The absolute best way is to be able to gain access to the inside of the coils. If your unit is ten years old or newer it will more than likely pull air in through 3-4 sides of the unit and blow air through the top. Take the top off ( you will also pull the fan out with the top more than likely). This will allow you to gain access to the inside of the coils. Take your garden hose and spray from the inside out. Doing it this way you are blowing the water the opposite way the dirt is being pulled in. If you spray from the outside in, then your just packing the dirt into the fins more. If your coils are packed really tight. Then you may want to take a soft briste brush and sweep the majority of it off first before turning it all into mud. If it's REALLY BAD then you may need to get a good cleaner to spray on there and let it sit before rinsing.

Just be careful that your water pressure doesn't bend any fins over. You just want to spray straight through the find, don't go at a angle.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I sure will Hoyt. I think I miss spoke, it is actually the outside fins that has the crud on it. I will post a picture today.

Thanks for your help.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Here ya go Hoyt. It is a Lennox, and will be 24 years old this October.

Crap, I can't get the picture to up load. I will try again in a bit.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Sitting on the couch tonight it sounded like someone was running a leaf blower outside. I walk out and realize it was my old as Moses AC. The condenser fan motor had locked up. I went ahead and pulled it but it left me without AC. I did have a shop fan, duct tape, and cardboard though. Bam! Redneck condenser fan. I covered the cardboard with some tin after the picture to keep moisture off it until Thursday when the new motor arrives.

The AC is original to the house installed in 1972. The inside and outside blower motors were made by the same company but different models. The inside one went out last February, the outside one tonight. So they lasted 45 years and died within 6 months of each other. They don't make shit like that anymore.

Nice fuggin work, lmao. Awesome