Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

High Winds

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Will find out later on if ours is till intact. It's pretty well blocked from the wind and tied down well. We shall see.

Pretty sure the one my neighbor put up in the field behind my house is in West Virginia now.

Was the wind blowing right to go to WV?

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Today the wind was a steady 14 MPH this gusting to 30.
The does must be on lock down as I didn't see crap. A little 3" buck at 9:00 and bumped a little 5" on way out at 10:00. 2 days ago I seen 12 bucks and 11 does.
Did see 43 turkeys on fly down at 7:10 in 4 different flocks at the same time. 2 flocks of 4 and 8 flew into the hay field and came to my food plots to feed. The other 2 flocks flew into the food plots and fed. At least their eating good.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Winds picked up here. Checked the 7 day site and it's blowing a steady 20 MPH and gusting to 36. Hell it's seems worse than yesterday.
Saturday looks like 9-10 then mild wind on Sunday.

Lundy

Anyone ever practice shooting, to see how easy it is to hold the bow on target, in a 20-30 MPH cross wind?

Anyone know how much wind drift you get with a 20-30 MPH cross wind at 30-40 yds? :D:D

Just curious.

Lundy

My above questions really weren’t put out there expecting an answer as I know the vast majority of bowhunters don’t have those answers, but rather hopefully to make some at least think about the answers.

I read through 2-1/2 pages about hunting in the wind discussing safety, deer movement, etc, all good conversation but no comments about the fact that most won’t be able to hit a deer cleanly in extremely windy conditions. Most wouldn’t realize that they will probably need to reduce their maximum range by half or maybe even more to ensure a clean shot. Tree movement, bow movement, arrow BC, wind angle all will play a big role in being able to place the arrow on target. If you haven’t practiced it and don’t know what to expect you really shouldn’t be trying to do it on a live animal.

Most of you know I don’t bowhunt any more, gave it up after a whole bunch of years. However the same concerns about adverse conditions exist with a gun just like when I did bowhunt. I hunt now in an area that is pretty wide open and up on top of a hill and is always normally windy, somedays really windy. On a calm day I can shoot a deer with my MZ at 250 yds just as easily as I can at 50 yds, but those days don’t exist often. I am always having to pay attention (wind ribbons) to wind speed and direction and I must adjust my maximum shot selection accordingly. If I have any wind in excess of 15mph and crossing I limit myself to 150 yds and I know how many inches (4”)of drift I must account for.

Take a common shot gun slug, Federal premium, Fusion, and look at the numbers.

12 ga, 1700 FPS, BC .16, wind drift 10MPH cross – 5.2“ at 100 yds
Same load ,30mph cross, 14” at 100 yds and 30” at 150 yds

20 ga, 1600 FPS, BC .14, wind drift 10MPH cross – 5.5” at 100 yds
Same load , 30 MPH cross, 16” at 100 yds, 36” at 150 yds

I am not trying to preachy, I am hoping to make some think prior to experiencing the heartache of making a bad shot on a deer because they didn’t know the extreme effects, (shooting form, and arrow flight) wind has on actually hitting your target.

AND, we owe it to the animals we hunt to make a clean kill shot