Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Here They Are: 2013-2014 Season Proposals

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I disagree with the early muzzleloader season, as a bowhunter. We'll have to see if the deer take as long as they do after gun season to calm down. Personally, our group currently plans to not hunt the early muzzleloader season, especially if we can't shoot a buck. Our places will get a break with the hope that they don't see much pressure, which may reward us in the following weeks.
At least they removed the bonus gun weekend and didn't tack on the doe muzzy too. It should mean more bucks survive and grow. They should have moved regular muzzy back to December when more bucks still have their antlers and to reduce the chances of shed bucks being killed.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I am adamantly against the antlerless season, but it appears that will happen regardless of opposition. The only thing I see here that I like is that Washington County is a 3 deer county now...

I see they put Crawford county and Vinton county into 4 deer county. How they can compair those to counties to the like of Tusc and a few other big deer number counties is beyond me. Justplain stupid.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I disagree with the early muzzleloader season, as a bowhunter. We'll have to see if the deer take as long as they do after gun season to calm down. Personally, our group currently plans to not hunt the early muzzleloader season, especially if we can't shoot a buck. Our places will get a break with the hope that they don't see much pressure, which may reward us in the following weeks.
At least they removed the bonus gun weekend and didn't tack on the doe muzzy too. It should mean more bucks survive and grow. They should have moved regular muzzy back to December when more bucks still have their antlers and to reduce the chances of shed bucks being killed.

I agree with all of this.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Here is a question.... if you don't hunt during the early season to use one of the $15 permits can you use only $24 permits like normal? Instead of 2+1, just 3?

Schu72

Streetsboro
Here is a question.... if you don't hunt during the early season to use one of the $15 permits can you use only $24 permits like normal? Instead of 2+1, just 3?

I don't think so. I believe each county/zone states how many of each permit you can purchase/fill. The antlerless permits will be valid until the Sunday before gun season....not sure if you consider November early season.

Last edited:

Lundy

I will predict that the gun havest 2013, 7 day gun and the 2 day Oct doe season will EXCEED this years 7 day gun and "bonus" 2 day gun harvest of 101,531.

Lundy

My vote is it'll be flat, but the percentage of does killed will be higher.

Without question if the harvest stays flat the ratio of doe harvest will go up, as will button buck harvest I think.

The overall gun harvest in 2012 went down slightly but the archery harvest increased by around 3% to 86,000 +or - to give a basically flat harvest compared to 2011

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I will predict that the gun havest 2013, 7 day gun and the 2 day Oct doe season will EXCEED this years 7 day gun and "bonus" 2 day gun harvest of 101,531.

This year 14,500 deer were checked in on the bonus weekend, last year the # was 16700. I'd predict a lower number for the Oct weekend. More guys might be out but leaves on the trees and crops in the fields will take away some of the advantage the rifles provide. However I can see maybe see some guys might use a vacation day or 2 more for gun week then they have in the past few years so that might pick up some.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

How do you figure? Like what points to that?

Lundy

I think the OCT doe season will be between 8,000 - 10,000. I know that some of the guys that wait to kill their deer during the 2 day will not be able to wait and will go ahead and kill theirs during the 7 day gun. I think you will see a 4,000-6,000 increase during the regular gun season

I believe that many of the deer killed during the bonus weekend were killed that weekend by choice. A lot of hunters are holding out hoping for a good buck. When it looks like it isn't going to happen and the season is ending they whack something. That is a lot of the "bonus" kill each year. Many of those kills will just shift to Saturday Sunday of the regular gun season now.

This new doe only season will be the first gun opportunity for the season. It will have high participation if the support I am reading on the hunting sites, and the ODNR hunter survey is correct. If it is a nice cool fall weekend it will have huge support and the kill could easily hit -12,000 plus. This also will attract a large number of youth hunters with it being the first gun season of the year. I guess this season participation and harvest could reduce the 9,000+ youth season harvest somewhat. All I know is if kids can kill 9,000 deer in a weekend I think a state full of hunters with MZ's can easily kill more.

We'll see I guess.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think the OCT doe season will be between 8,000 - 10,000. I know that some of the guys that wait to kill their deer during the 2 day will not be able to wait and will go ahead and kill theirs during the 7 day gun. I think you will see a 4,000-6,000 increase during the regular gun season

I believe that many of the deer killed during the bonus weekend were killed that weekend by choice. A lot of hunters are holding out hoping for a good buck. When it looks like it isn't going to happen and the season is ending they whack something. That is a lot of the "bonus" kill each year. Many of those kills will just shift to Saturday Sunday of the regular gun season now.

This new doe only season will be the first gun opportunity for the season. It will have high participation if the support I am reading on the hunting sites, and the ODNR hunter survey is correct. If it is a nice cool fall weekend it will have huge support and the kill could easily hit -12,000 plus. This also will attract a large number of youth hunters with it being the first gun season of the year. I guess this season participation and harvest could reduce the 9,000+ youth season harvest somewhat. All I know is if kids can kill 9,000 deer in a weekend I think a state full of hunters with MZ's can easily kill more.

We'll see I guess.

I see what you;re saying.. Couple things..

Last year during bonus gun the numbers were as follows. Total 17,172

5,263 Bucks
9,610 Does
2,299 Button bucks.

So what are the physical differences between the two seasons..

No bucks allowed
More crops will be standing Oct than in December
Denser vegetation during Oct than in December
66% fewer rounds. went from 3 to 1 shot.. How often during bonus gun did you hear multiple shots? The majority of the time.
Button bucks will be smaller and easier identify.
Hotter temps.

So lets run the numbers.

17,172 Total
-5,263 Bucks
-------------
11,909 Does and BB..

Add in the denser vegetation and standing crops limiting range, and the single shot limitation. You'll see that number drop even lower. So even if it's in the 8,000 - 10,000 range like you predict it's still lower than the doe killed during bonus gun. At 12,000 it's a wash.

I don;t think we can say there will undoubtedly be increased participation during Oct due to warmer weather, as it has a negative effect too. And if it does it'll likely work itself out during regular gun. One thing I have noticed hunting early bow season is people don't like getting out in the heat, bugs, crops and vegetation. In years past I have had virtually the entire month of oct and some of Nov to myself. It wasn't until the crops came off and the weather turns cooler that you start seeing people hunting more. They just don't want to deal with it. I understand. My stands in October are a pain to get to. Sometimes I have to walk a mile or more around the edge of a field to get there; where as when the crops are off it's a 400 yard shot straight across. People typically don't want to hunt in it, walk around it, deal with the 70 degree temps, or dragging deer that far.. I don't think the participation will be all that much higher, and if it is it will be offset by lower participation during gun. It also limits opportunity, range, and shot capacity.. Lets face it. In most areas if the crops are still on shot opportunities will be limited to that of a good bowhunter.

I see the early season as being more of a wash.. But it wouldn't surprise me if it is lower.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I still think the leaves on the trees and standing corn will take a lot of the ML rifle's advantage away. Add to that you need to make sure you're shooting a doe I see a smaller kill then many are expecting.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
I think it's a big bunch of horse turds! I'm going to the March Open House. I know what to expect. Once, I've had my say, I'll decide if me and my money are staying in Ohio or moving on to Kentucky next fall. I am no longer interested in sponsoring the interests/agenda of the Ohio Farm Bureau.

Lundy

We will just have to wait and see how this plays out, I just don't think the elimination of the bonus gun accomplished anything except to kill more does. We just won't know until the seasons are completed

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We will just have to wait and see how this plays out, I just don't think the elimination of the bonus gun accomplished anything except to kill more does. We just won't know until the seasons are completed

Agreed. But I can't logically see how it's going to be more with the inherent limitations being more prevelant than bonus gun.