Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gun opener weather......

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Looking wet for the first two days, Sunday through Tuesday looks nasty. Good chances of rain every day (at least where I will be hunting). I might push my days off back to Wednesday and Thursday when the weather breaks. Can;t stand hunting deer in the rain.......ducks yes, deer no.

What's the weather looking like where you will be hunting?

epe

Lancaster
Looks like 40% for Monday. Last Saturday they said 60% from 7am on. It started raining finally at 4pm.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Haven't even looked at the weather yet. I will hunt when my schedule allows. Rain or no rain, I will be out as much as I can. Won't be any different than bow season minus the fact there are a couple bucks I will remove from the list. Trophy worthy if taken with a bow, but not a trophy with a gun in my opinion. I can live with just shooting a doe with the smoke pole. I'm not afraid of buck tag soup. I can stir the soup with a femur from a doe i killed. Only thing the weather might change is whether I carry the muzzle loader or shotgun.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have Monday off, so I'll be hunting no matter what. It says 30% "Few Showers".

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
They went from "showers" to rain now on Monday and a decent shot of raon on Tuesday. Looks like I might wait until Wednesday and hunt Wed/Thurs work Friday and hit it again on Sat. I'll let the locals push the deer over to me and leave my place as a santuary for the first two days.

I went down yesterday to pull my cams and re-post the road frontage of my property. HOpefully I don't have any issues with trespassers.

Darron said:
I might push my days off back to Wednesday and Thursday when the weather breaks. Can;t stand hunting deer in the rain.......ducks yes, deer no.
Darron,
I'm with you, about pushing my days off back until Wednesday. Also, I don't mind the waterfowl thing, in the rain, but that's a different game. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to take a chance of losing a blood trail due to rain. :smiley_depressive:

The weather for the Lima or 45801 area is 90% Sunday, 80% Monday and 70% Tuesday. :smiley_arrogant:
http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Lima+OH+45801

Bowhunter57

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Pulled cameras today and have the week off and am going too enjoy the time in the stand..... Rain or shine lol.....

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Darron,
I'm with you, about pushing my days off back until Wednesday. Also, I don't mind the waterfowl thing, in the rain, but that's a different game. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to take a chance of losing a blood trail due to rain. :smiley_depressive:

The weather for the Lima or 45801 area is 90% Sunday, 80% Monday and 70% Tuesday. :smiley_arrogant:
http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Lima+OH+45801

Bowhunter57

I am having to take off work to hunt. Unlike some people, I don't get to hunt the entire week of gun season. I personally do not want to burn my time to go sit in the rain.

I just hope the local yocals stay off my place the first two days of season. If they do they will drive deer into our place where it is nice and quiet. I was down Saturday and pulled my cameras and put up fresh no trespassing signs where they have fallen down or been shot off:smiley_depressive:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
If I remeber right, it rained for the first part of gun season last year, and from what the guys at work were telling me, they were amazed at how many deer they saw on the rainy days.

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
If I remeber right, it rained for the first part of gun season last year, and from what the guys at work were telling me, they were amazed at how many deer they saw on the rainy days.

It did not rain last year on opening day where I was at. It was a beautiful morning. Tuesday it poured the rain all day.

Lundy

I grew tired of sitting in the rain, wind, and cold in treestands many years ago. 25 years of that just grew old, and less safe for me, as I grew older. I had a tree step pull out of the tree, near the top, 10 years ago as I was climbing and I thought I had gutted myself on the steps below as I fell. That was the last time I ever used a lock on style tree stand with tree steps. It is now all ladder stands or the hunting boxes

I have 7 hunting boxes around the property. All have comfortable office chairs, windows, heaters, carpet, shelves, etc. It is sure not like the hunting I did as a younger man.

I sit in one of them all day every day. There is no way I could stay in one spot all day anymore if I was being rained on or cold

I hope it doesn't rain for you guys, for me I don't really care either way other than the deer move great in the rain.

Good luck to everybody