Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Grunting and rattling

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Seeing pics that people are taking bucks by calling them in with grunts and rattling. What are y'all thoughts on this? is it too early? If you do it how many and how ofte ?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It is getting close for me. I have carried rattling antlers a few times. Didn't use them every time. Light rattling. More like grinding the antlers together with some tickling of the tines on pulling back apart.

In first week of November I will begin some cold calling. Look around. Ensure no deer close. Maybe turn over can call a couple times. Maybe let out some tending grunts. Few minutes later bang the antlers hard. Continue 15-30sec. Follow up with a grunt. Try it every couple hours during heavy seeking-chasing phase of rut.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I rattled in a small 3 point yesterday morning. I dont have a picture handy, but a buddy killed a really nice 10 point on Friday after a rattling/grunting sequence. I wouldnt have rattled yet, except Saturday morning I had 2 shooters fight for about 4 seconds about 60-70 yards away from me in the thicket. The bigger buck was pushing a Doe all over that morning. I always get a hot Doe in that area every year around this time

Isaacorps

Columbus
I haven't done much rattling in the past mostly cuz I felt lost on how/when to do it. After reading a lot in here I'm feeling a lot more confident about it. I actually rattled in a small spike Friday evening. Tried a bit more Saturday morning to no avail but definitely feeling better about using it strategically

tpierce

I started rattling 3 years ago after my nieces husband taught me. I've rattled in several bucks. It's a real rush, 'cause when they come in to it, it's like they're on a string. When you rattle put it away and get ready. Also seems to work best if done sparingly.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I started rattling 3 years ago after my nieces husband taught me. I've rattled in several bucks. It's a real rush, 'cause when they come in to it, it's like they're on a string. When you rattle put it away and get ready. Also seems to work best if done sparingly.

Agreed. Better have your bow in hand after you finish rattling. Especially the next several weeks. BUT. . . not all come in on a string. If you haven't seen any come running in looking for a fight, don't be shocked if there is a buck lurking around 10-15 min later trying to figure out where those bucks got to. I've had bucks pop up, see nothing, and lock up out of bow range. Decoys to bring them in is a whole additional thread.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Real deal for me. Bigger the better. I figure it may scare off some, but the ones interested hear the solid thud and known what they are getting into.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I carry my horns with me every time I go, but I don't always use them. In early season like now, I tend to just tickle the horns together, but as it gets closer to November I get more aggressive. I do use my grunt tube in conjunction with the rattling sequences too.
Not a fan of blind calling, but if it's been slow for a couple hours. I will grunt and rattle to hopefully catch a buck within ear shot.