Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ground Blind Question

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Hey my TOO Brothers, have a question regarding ground blinds.

My wife got me a Ameristep Ground Blind for Xmas so I can take Little River Dude out deer hunting if I want to use my Cross Bow. My Compound Bow I use from my tree stand at times I use Thunderheads.

My question is with my Xbow I shoot "Rage Crossbow Rear Deploying Broadheads" ( They have a rubber O ring on them ) The ground blind has the mesh screen you can shoot through but if I shoot thorough the mesh screen will that mess up the mechanical broadhead? Another words will it possibly open the blades when it passes through?

Excited about trying it out but looking for input.

Thanks guys.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I wouldn't do it. Something I do that you might try with a ground blind is rather than taking the entire mesh window out, just roll up enough from the bottom up to give yourself a big enough area for a shot. No need to take the entire window out usually. It also helps with concealment.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
20 yard shots with fixed blade heads have been fine for me. I wouldn't shoot mechanicals through mesh. You could always try shooting at the target block through your blind before you take it to the woods. Two or three shots should give you some confidence.

Another tip- don't shoot the poles! Lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I wouldn't do it. Something I do that you might try with a ground blind is rather than taking the entire mesh window out, just roll up enough from the bottom up to give yourself a big enough area for a shot. No need to take the entire window out usually. It also helps with concealment.
What Gern said

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
By the way - it's cool that the wife is buying you $$$ hunting gear, ya got her trained right! :smiley_clap::smiley_coolpeace:

Like others said definitely not with mechanicals. Personally I don't shoot any broadhead thru it as I am always worried about it affecting it just a little bit. One thing if you are leaving it out is to make sure to use something for a center support of the roof so it doesn't cave in from the snow. I just use a piece of PVC pipe propped up under the hub.

Just an idea especially if on private ground. I built a platform under mine. I just use screw with fender washers to anchor it to the platform. Even though it is only a couple of ft up, it keeps you out of the mud and keeps your chairs level in it. Most of this I built out of a deck I replaced on the house.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I like the way you think Phil! Lol

I did not roll mine down enough when muzzy hunting...
Left a nice burn through 3 rolls of screen.

They sure are nice to sit in when the weather gets foul. Enjoy!