Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Great Day At AEP!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Since purchasing my first kayak this winter, I decided to make it a top priority to get out and scout the AEP Recreation Lands and fish some new water instead of the same half a dozen ponds. There's hundreds of ponds, and I knew I was missing some great water.
Fast forward to two week, my father, a friend, and I hit up AEP to fish a few ponds I had scouted out via Google Maps. The first two we fished were good, fishing, but the last showed some great potential. This morning, the wife and I packed up the 'yaks and headed for AEP. We decided to hit up the "potential" pond, and things went very well.

In six hours, we caught over 40 bass, and they were hammering topwater. Before I could even get my kayak in the water, my wife already had a fish on.

Just as I slid the boat in and was getting my poles organized, I hear, "got another!"

I started out throwing rubber worm and caught a handful of fish, the biggest being just shy of two pounds, and the wife was catching them on the spinner bait. We started to get into shallower water, and I decided to give the frog a try. I was hoping the warmer temps in the shallows would have the fish feeling spunky. Very first cast, I caught a small bass, and it just got better from there. After catching several bass on topwater, we reached the tail end of the pond. I was sitting there casting and noticed a fish on down the bank that was chasing others off and making pretty good wake. I made a long cast past the wake and brought the frog through the area where the wake had come to a calm and suddenly witnessed a scene fitting of a Jaws movie, a fish tailing in shallow water coming to hammer my frog! The water boiled and then the fight was on. This fish had some spunk, jumping and making a dash for the deeper water. After a pretty good battle, I finally laid my hands on her.

I've always had great luck with topwater at AEP, and this was just another pig to add to the list of frog catches. She tipped the scales at 4.5lbs, and was 20" long.

After the picture session, I sent her on the way, my adrenalin pumping. Not a 100 yards up the bank, I had another monster hammer my frog. I thought there was no way I could beat the earlier catch, but luck was on my side today. After another intense battle, I landed this little piglet. As you can tell by the look on my face, I was pleasantly suprised!

She weighted in at 5.2lbs and was an absolute hoss. I've got quite a few 4+lb fish from AEP, but I've never caught two in one day! Today's trip may have been a short one, but it was a great day!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's weird man! I was just sitting here about to text you because we hadn't heard from you in a while! Glad to hear things went well up there!!! I figure your old man had a blast. Those are some memories to last a lifetime!!!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Yeah, I've been working a ton of OT lately and been trying to stay busy with chores around the house. Been checking in on the forums, but just haven't had much time to post.

Definitely had a good time today, other than the trek into this pond. Talk about an adventure!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Way to go, Greg! Looks like you and the Mrs. had a great time out on the water. IMO, it really doesn't get any better than catching big bass on topwater frogs.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ha, I've even got the Crocs!

Seriously though fellas, I should apologize for not posting much lately, playing the role of creeper, then posting a big thread all about me. Not cool on my part, but I was excited and had to share!

What the heck? Nothing wrong with posting what you are up to when it comes to hunting and fishing in my opinion. I wish more would do it. Heck, I read this stuff when I am NOT able to be out, so I enjoy the pics and stories people put up while I'm stuck inside! Keep up the good work!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ha, I've even got the Crocs!

Seriously though fellas, I should apologize for not posting much lately, playing the role of creeper, then posting a big thread all about me. Not cool on my part, but I was excited and had to share!

It's ok rexy.. I mean Flutey.. lol