Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gravity feeder

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I have the common Moultrie spinner feeder. I took the guard off and left the battery out. The deer just take the corn off the spinner. I am going through 50# every 2 days right now. I have 6 or 8 does coming in and 4 bucks. The feeder you are looking at will be easier than mine for the deer to get to the corn. You will go through a lot once they get used to it.

A squirrel will run up the metal leg and leap over to the spinner. Then hang there and spin the spinner throwing corn onto the ground for all his buddies.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I got the redneck feeder that goes to a tree. Have a promo running now, I only paid 79 for it. It holds around 70lbs, which is why I wanted it, holds more food, only one hole for one deer to eat out of, and keeps them coming back longer. I don't have to feed as often from it.

Lundy

I set my feeders to only go off in the morning for 8 seconds, they don't throw a lot of corn. The deer do learn to get the corn off of the spinner plate with their tongue through the spinner plate. It takes them some effort and they don't get to just sit there and eat bunches of corn. Reduces my corn costs, extends feeder fill times and it is better that they not just munch down on a bunch of corn.

I don't want the deer coming and spending an hr around a feeder, I want them to stop by, and they do almost daily whether there is still corn or not, and move on.

Lundy

I think that feeder is named "pig out" for a reason, but it would solve the turkey problem

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Coons are going to rape it Frank. If they can get to it they will! I am currently changing all my feeders over to gravity. But I will be using the upside down barrel method I posted in the Coon proof feeder thread.
I still have had no coons on that feeder since the barrel was installed.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Coons are going to rape it Frank. If they can get to it they will! I am currently changing all my feeders over to gravity. But I will be using the upside down barrel method I posted in the Coon proof feeder thread.
I still have had no coons on that feeder since the barrel was installed.

I had planned on putting them on T-post. Wrap barb wire around the post should keep coons off?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Rick I couldn't find your post on the barrel attachment but should be easy to figure out.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
My buddy used barbed wire Frank and it never slowed them down at all. The one I did is in the DIY section on here. Looks like this: 20150901_181804.jpg

Last edited:

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I bought 2 a few months ago. Works great and no issues with coons. I mounted them on 2 single trees with no other trees close by and have not had a issue at all.

IMG_2044.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

Last edited: