Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

GPS tracking early season bucks

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Coop study and thanks for posting. Confirms what most of us think about deer movements.

1. Deer will travel a great distance for preferred food.

2. They usually mill around in a staging area to await nightfall before moving to that feeding area.

3. A deers home range is huge and can encompass a 4 mile radius.

No if they can explain to me why one of my dear will spend all summer in a certain location, then right before season they will move to the 3 miles do a geographically identical area. Same food sources, same water availability, same amount of cover, and the same amount of does. The sides food and breeding I am convinced deae are migratory. They have a summer range and they have a fall winter range. Nomadic bastards.

Thanks
I will read it later

I hope it helps explain some of the deer movements I see around where I hunt
Like the big 10 point that I only see leaving the thick woods after dark on my cameras

John

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Very interesting indeed. Deer used to drive me nuts, right up until I figured out they are deer and are going to do whatever it is they want, whenever it is they want to. I'm convinced it is pure luck every time you see one of 'em., aside from putting yourself in an area they have gone through before and waiting for them to come through it again.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Very interesting indeed. Deer used to drive me nuts, right up until I figured out they are deer and are going to do whatever it is they want, whenever it is they want to. I'm convinced it is pure luck every time you see one of 'em., aside from putting yourself in an area they have gone through before and waiting for them to come through it again.

Yep.. All the correct preparation in the world and there is still no guarantee you'll even get to see a target buck.

rsmith

That was an awesome read! Deer are smart animals expecially nice mature ones, they know what to do when it's time and it's crazy! It's a matter of finding them and trying to press them out to move a little earlier evening or later in the morning. Very cool study he did though