Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Goodbye Maumee River

Well, I'm "officially done" with the Maumee River. 🚫 I do not enjoy the cost/losses vs. the amount of fish caught. (n) The guys I've been going with just equate the jigs lost to the way the river bottom is and eventually you'll catch some walleye. :rolleyes: I was there yesterday, lost 8 jigs and 3 weights and have nothing to show for my efforts. I fished from the east side of the Conant St. bridge to the boat ramp for 3 1/2 hours....nothing. Others around me were catching carp, shad, suckers, white bass and the occasional walleye. I've fished that river pretty hard for the last 3 weeks, seen some fluctuations in catching and I understand there are days that you catch fish and days that you don't....but not like this. :cautious:

I'm not that easy going about it. I'd rather be fishing in my kayak, in cleaner waters, not losing lures, damaging my equipment and catching more fish. :cool: This river fishing style is new to me and I find it unappealing to say the least, but I geared up and went to see what all the fuss was about. :unsure:
An hour drive, losing a dozen jigs, going back to buy more jigs, having to retie jigs repeatedly, the risks of wadding in that river are huge and there's the damage to my fishing gear. I can't tell you when the last time was that I lost a lure, while kayak fishing. It's just not a good fishing experience, compared to where I'm coming from fishing out of a kayak.

I wish everyone else all the best, while fishing that river. (y)💯

Bigcountry40

The weekend before the eclipse, I got a phone call that the Maumee was on fire, like literally everyone was hammering fish. I confirmed this with a few river vets and they said they had never seen anything like it. I'll take it you were not there that day. I have fished the river on occasions in Fremont and Maumee, I am not very good at it and have only caught a handful of fish. I prefer my boat

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The Maumee right now...

1000007768.gif

😂

The weekend before the eclipse, I got a phone call that the Maumee was on fire, like literally everyone was hammering fish. I confirmed this with a few river vets and they said they had never seen anything like it. I'll take it you were not there that day. I have fished the river on occasions in Fremont and Maumee, I am not very good at it and have only caught a handful of fish. I prefer my boat
I was there during the eclipse and they were biting. I actually caught 3 that day, but had to release 2 of them since they were foul hooked. However, I'm with you, I'd rather be in a boat. (y)
Caught this one a few minutes after the eclipse.
Walleye 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sgt Fury