Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Getting the deer cooler ready

Well actualy not a true cooler

I have a old chest freezer in the basement that has not worked in years
Most of the year I use it as dry storage and a wook bench , as I added a sheet of plywood to the top

But for deer season , it is a deer cooler
As many times I don't have time to process a deer the same night I harvest it

I freeze 20+ gallon jugs of water in the other chest freezer in the basement
When I harvest a deer on a 70 degree+ day
I simply wash it out good
Skin it if I have time
Wrap in plastic and place it in the old chest freezer with 10 gallon jugs of ice
I place 4 in the chest cavity and the rest around it

As needed I add more ice and refreeze the thawed jugs

Several years ago , I kept a deer in the freezer for 6 days before I had a chance to chop it up in 70 - 80 degree days

I put a thermostat in with the deer
So I am sure it stays cold

I know several guys that have old freezers behind the gardge just for this use
1 is a upright freezer laying down

Just a big insulated box

John

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Great idea. If it worked you could get a timer like one that turns the lamps in a house off and on when nobody is home. by setting the timer to cycle the freezer off and on once and a while you should be able to keep it above freezing yet cool enough to store a deer.

Kujo

Maumee, OH
Great idea. If it worked you could get a timer like one that turns the lamps in a house off and on when nobody is home. by setting the timer to cycle the freezer off and on once and a while you should be able to keep it above freezing yet cool enough to store a deer.

At that point, you could just use a refrigerator! LOL

John, good idea.

Kujo

Maumee, OH
Really? Didn't know such a thing existed. Guess you learn something new everyday!

Yes, they also have them at grocery stores in the produce and meat departments. Anyways....

John, that is a great idea and think that has to be the cheapiest way to go about it. Thnx.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They must just be on a timer then! LMAO..

DONE!
AGAIN.... JOHN GREAT IDEA!

Actually they are.. If you look under the grate in the front there is a round dial. They can be used as freezers without lids. (That's why they have ice build up on the sides.) Or refrigerators with sliding lids.

Buckmaster

Portage
I make up one gallon ice blocks as well in tupperware containers. I take jumbo blocks to camp in my cooler. Upon harvest, I place a block or two into the carcass. Upon quartering into my cooler I place the blocks into my cooler with the venison. When I get home I have an empty refigerator to age my meat for a couple of days. In the evenings after work I can carefully cut my meat quarter by quarter until done. I have the luxury of taking my time this way. No complaints from the Mrs. and my meat always turns out well. I have 3 freezers and 2 refrigerators but it's just another tip.