Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FS 2013-2014 Hunting Journal

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Fridays hunt on Nov.15th with Karissa

Hours hunted - 29.50
Deer seen -13
Bucks seen - 3
Does seen -4
bb/ yearlings seen - 8
Yotes seen - 1
Turkeys seen - 11+
Shot ops - 7
Shots taken - 1
Shots taken by Karissa - 1

This is how our Friday hunt went down.

Karissa and I climbed up into our set at about 3:35 and settled in and went over everything like we always do. Didn't see squat but squirrels till I looked down to the east and saw two Whitetails(small) running along the far end of a grownup untilled crop field about 175 yards away. They ran toward the other end of the finger we were setup on. A few minutes later I see some goofball riding a quad in hunter orange along the far edge of the other bigger beanfield still mostly standing that sets on the otherside of the finger. He was headed right straight towards where I saw the deer running. What kinda of nimrod does this right at prime time(4:45-5:15)?!?!?
Anyway I told Karissa to get ready in case he kicks something up. A few minutes later I see a deer moving toward us getting ready to cut in the finger and by our set. I told her get ready!

Seconds later I see a decent racked buck making his way steadily to our north heading to a shooting lane we had so I turned on my camera and whispered for her to turn towards the shooting lane as I was about to stop him at 27-28 yards quartering away. I didn't have much time to do any glassing and size him up and just wanted to get her a shot opportunity.

I heard her click off the safety and when he was in the shorting lane I let out a uuurp! He stopped on a dime offering a great shot quartered away. I zoomed in and she shot. We both neither one could tell if she hit him so we just whispered back and forth to each other on the awesome experience. Ole num nuts showed up 30 yards away bum fugging around at 30 yards from us and backed his quad up and drove back the way he had come. Then he came back along the top edge of the finger at 35 yards again clueless of our presence. Once he left we shimmied down and went to look for her bolt or any blood. In short order I found it and it was a clean miss. We couldn't wait to get home and view it on the PC. After watching it with the family the bolt struck the ground just missing his brisket but perfect height. What an awesome experience though we shared! We're both happy that she missed as the buck had a busted off g3 on his far side(right) and he could use a few more years. Mainly though, she'd be tagged out and our hunting adventures this year would be over. She said she wants a chance at something better and is willing to eat her tag if that's what it might take which is fine by me!
On our way home and the rest of the night she couldn't stop thinking about deer hunting! I friggin LOVE THAT! Our next hunt was planned for the next day(Saturday) and it had a very close call TOO!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Saturdays hunt with Karissa, Nov.16th from 10am till 5:30(dark)

Hours hunted - 36.50
Deer seen -13
Bucks seen - 6
Does seen -7
bb/ yearlings seen - 12
Yotes seen - 1
Turkeys seen - 11+
Shot ops - 7
Shots taken - 1

i edited our Friday hunt in the wrong post and deleted it from this one which was for Saturdays hunt....dang

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Our Saturdays hunt went like this.

I let her and I sleep in till 9 as I planned on us sitting mostly during the late morning and afternoon hoping we'd see more movement then. We each had a small breakfast and smoked up our clothes in the opened garage and headed out by 9:35. We got to our stand and set up just before 10am. We sat till 1:39 before seeing our first deer which was a small doe by itself coming out of a finger about 100 yards away. It crossed on over to another finger after browsing in the beans a few minutes. About 20 minutes later Karissa sees another doe pop out of a corner about 200 yards away heading away from us through a gap leading to another part of the same beanfield. At 2:10 I ask her if she's alright and if she wants to keep hunting and she said, yes, I'm good! About 5-10 minutes later I see a nice 8 point buck walking the edge of a finger towards the treestand we hunted the previous night when she shot at the small busted up 8 point. It's at the head of a long finger that comes back toward us and I told her to be ready because he might make his way toward us very soon.

About 5 minutes later I crouch down to whisper for her to keep her eyes peeled and as I look past her I see him coming our way about 50-60 yards away heading for our 18 yard chip shot lanes at the field edge. He must have caught our movement because when he got to within 10 yards of our lanes he locked up for 2-3 long minutes surveying the situation behind a thick cedar tree which was blocking our view of him. I already had the camera rolling hoping he would come on through. Unfortunately he did a 180 and simply walked away. We were both dejected but glad to have the encounter and know he wasn't totally boogered. The look on her face afterwards told be she was pumped and excited about what just happened. She said, I'm sure glad we stayed out here! I told her that bucks should be on the move and to keep her eyes peeled. About an hour later it was 3:50 and I hear her whisper, Hey daddy, you think we should leave now? I said sorry babe, but its TOO late now because its PRIMETIME! She said ok but just said she was getting hungry. I fixed that by giving her a small snickers bar and some Gatorade to hold her over. Then about 15 minutes later I kneel down again to whisper something to her and while I was communicating with her, her eyes got big and she pointed down below and the buck she shot at yesterday was walking past us at 28 yards with no shot opportunities. I still managed some great video of him and grunted to stop him for a better look and check him out. He eventually went on his way. She whispered back to me afterwards that she's glad we stayed again!
After about a half an hour I hear her whisper that she sees horns coming our way again! I turn on my camera and video another young buck(6 point) slipping up the creek about 33 yards out offering no shot but plenty of footage. She wouldn't have shot either of the last two bucks but this was definitely pumping her up!!!

Just about 5:10 she sees 5 more deer filter out into the field and all were antlerless but there were two big nanny does among the group. This brought our total deer count for the 7.5 hour hunt up to 10 total.

She was a real trooper and I'm one proud dad!!!!! This girl has got a lot of patience and is truly loving this new sport! She is all pumped for our Friday evening hunt coming up and can't wait to get back after a nice buck. She said she is willing to eat her tag if she has to because she enjoys the hunt and knows when she shoots one she is done hunting for the year. She wants to be really satisfied with what she kills and is willing to hold out. That is her choice and I'm fine with that. Plus it gives us more time to hunt together....:smiley_coolpeace:

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Its gonna happen for her soon. If not, you're having a great time together! You can't beat that!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks guys!

Here is a video of her shooting at her very first buck which happened on Friday. You can see her bolt hit black dirt just in front of his brisket.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/...6F118BC-1068-0000028E84071B5B_zpsd02b6d7d.mp4

Here is a segment of the near shot op we had on a nicer buck on Saturday. The buck held up behind the thick cedar tree for 2-3 minutes then turned and walked away. This is just a glimpse of him through brush as he left. Oh sooo close! He wasn't a big buck but would have been a great first deer for her.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/...1890A28-1068-0000028EA12DBFB6_zps3f850de9.mp4

Here is a video clip of the buck she missed the night before. He's looking up towards us because I had just grunted at him to stop him so we could get a good look at him.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/...33C9D1D-1068-0000028EC09C1BA8_zps1558229c.mp4

Here is the last buck we saw walking along the creek bed. She saw this deer before me like the last buck in the video. She's got the eyes for em! Lol
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/...4889844-1068-0000028EDA9F380F_zpsa9b50108.mp4

Hope y'all enjoyed a small portion of our two hunts this past weekend! Hope to have more to share later....

Gordo

Athens County
Time spent afield cant get any better then being sble to share it with your kids. I gotta make me some babies. lol

Keep it up buddy and good luck

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Karissa and I hunted together again last evening and got skunked again. We sat from 3:45 to 5:15. Talked to a neighboring farmer that has 100 plus acres wanting to see if he's seen much deer movement. He said he and his wife haven't seen near the deer they normally see throughout the summer and fall. Did say they found two bucks(in velvet) and two does dead with no apparent wounds on them and they were near water. Had the county GW come out and he said it was prolly EHD. Might be why we haven't seen many deer.

Hours hunted - 38.00
Deer seen -13
Bucks seen - 6
Does seen -7
bb/ yearlings seen - 12
Yotes seen - 1
Turkeys seen - 11+
Shot ops - 7
Shots taken - 1