Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

From nj looking to move

Mustang51js

Hey guys, I currently live in northern nj and looking to move out of that state. Joined here to see how the state is and get advice about it from time to time. I've been to ohio about 10 years ago but that's it. Look forward to looking at some great deer pics and learn what I can about the state. Right now I'm in a toss up from Ohio, Kentucky, North Carolina and possible Georgia. I am a licensed electrician but I know I can't transfer my license so will have to start over and work for someone for a while. Let me know some areas that have decent work available and good deer hunting,oh and need a hockey rink around so I can play,lol. I was looking about 20-30 minutes outside Columbus but I'm just starting my research,thanks

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Pretty sure there is a rink in columbus somewhere. As far as work goes, it seems to be improving a little. Are you a residential electrician or commercial? The area to the north of Columbus seems to be growing quite a bit. Better hunting to the east.

Mustang51js

I do 99% residential. I work by myself also. What I've been trying to do is look on craigslist and see what electrical jobs are offered in different areas, if I find one that has a bunch then I know there's some work around. I know the pay will be less but everything is cheaper and I will have a better life than what I have in nj, all they do is raise taxes until you can't afford to live anymore. I have 3 kids under the age of 6 so I have to make sure I do the right thing and not have to move all over. I appreciate the info

teej89

NE PA
Welcome to the site! And I currently move in Columbus, lived here for almost 2 years. I'm not much of a city guy so I'm not a HUGE fan of it but it's okay, and the deer hunting is great. The city of columbus is basically suburbia on steroids, it's not a huge bumping city but it has a central core then everything that makes up columbus is mainly neighborhoods ands suburbs.

Within an hour to 2 hour drive you can be into some prime deer hunting land. Also there isn't bad hunting right around columbus, I've just never ventured into hunting them cuz I hunt property a good bit south of the city. As far as jobs go being an electrician doing mostly residential I don't think you'll have an issue finding a job. I'm a structural engineer and a lot of our jobs as apartment complexes in the city of columbus or near it.

I can answer any questions you may have about the city or the hunting around here... just shoot me a PM sometime.

-T.J.

Mustang51js

Good to know and thanks, I will definitely give you a pm when the time gets closer. Right now I want to pay bills off so I have no debts when I make the move,which won't be for at least two years or so. Best part is that's it's still a reasonable drive back to nj for holidays. I already found out ohio has the lowest rates for car insurance so it gets better and better lol

Mustang51js

Yeah I can't stand the city either,but I figured it would be good work wise. Seems like decent land 30 minutes out south or east of columbus