Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Friends first buck

Lundy

I wanted to share this. I am soooo excited for him.

Friend of mine that has been hunting for a few years killed his first buck in Delaware County last Saturday morning at 12 yds during that freezing rain

Green score 175 and change.

Lundy

Even though I told him about many of you here he is going to join the site anyway:D

I do know that this was the first buck he elected to shoot since he began hunting, it wasn't the first he could have shot.

ying6

First thanks to Lundy for bringing me to this site. As I read through other posts it became apparent why he was a member. A ton of knowledge with respect to the sport.
As for how I came in contact with this deer, it is unlike any other hunt I have had.
There had been reports of a big 10- 12 point in the area for a couple years but no one could connect with the deer close enough to get a shot. The deer was 2-3 miles as the crow flies from the property I hunt so the chances of ever connecting were slim.
I had been hunting this land for a number of years with a friend who taught me how to hunt, until he suddenly passed away last fall. I went out a few times last year but hunting by myself just didn't work out.
This fall I made a promise to his widow that I would go more often. So I did, on countless days until this hunt i went out and didn't see a deer. Only once did I see a mature buck, but only long enough to get the blood flowing.
Saturday morning was miserable, the sleet had started in our area around 5:00 am and the youth hunt would be in full force that day. ( The reason I am in orange).
As i got into the stand there was movement to my east, but as the doe walked behind me, She caught wind and blew. Next a nice buck made its way down the path again to my east. I was excited, but cold and wet due to the wind and sleet.
As I watched east I caught something running across the beans toward me. I glanced and saw antlers moving back and forth. I turned and took the safety off,as i knew this would be a shooter. It continued to me, briefly stopping at 30 yards broad side, I went to shoot but notice it turn to walk down the very path I was on, only 20 feet up. The deer walked below and at 12 yards I let the arrow go. The deer barely moved and continued to walk down the trail. 20 yards further it dropped. I called a friend and let him know and I sat in the tree staring at the deer until he arrived 30 minutes later. My knees were still weak and I did not really speak.
Later that night I received a text with the tail camera of the deer over 3 miles away.
As I sit here typing I still find myself wondering why that deer decided to travel 3 miles across an open field right down the very walking path I sat in.
Thanks for reading. I hope I did the deer justice.
Mike

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Mike first of all welcome too the site.... Second I think your friend was looking down on you favorably helping you with your luck.... Congrats on your fine buck..... You did a great job on the write up....