Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Food Plots?? How, When, Where??

Might bite you in the ass on this one, who knows. Once you cut a tree down, it's gone.
I know I know haha. I'm not cutting down any trees right now. I hear what you are trying to tell me and I'm taking it all into consideration before I decide what I'm doing. I'm more confused on what I wanna do now than before I started this thread but I got lots of good info to think on.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
grandparayoutdoors.com
Is a great seed company and has a world of good info on food plots. He also has a food plot info forum.
He is a professional farm animal feed adviser.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Neighbor has that covered for me if I wanna borrow it so I think I'll be able to afford the expensive seeds lol

Get the planter then you don't need the neighbor. And then you can do whatever you want with your land. That much clover is not needed.
Nothing better than standing row crops to hold/attract the deer. Especially late season when they are easy picking by the neighbors with there bang sticks. Gotta keep them on your ground so they can grow, and those interior fields would be perfect for that!
And I was not suggesting taking a bunch of trees out. Just if you have a few small openings, work the ground up and get something planted.

By the way, the are just picking on me with the beer comments and expensive seed!!! :smiley_blackeye:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd suggest getting as big a print of an aerial as you can (11x17) is good, but 24×36 is awesome. Then get a piece of clear glass or plexiglass to lay over. Then with dry erase markers you can "doodle" on the map to kick around ideas, update plots and stands, mark trails. Makes a great investment.

Get the planter then you don't need the neighbor. And then you can do whatever you want with your land. That much clover is not needed.
Nothing better than standing row crops to hold/attract the deer. Especially late season when they are easy picking by the neighbors with there bang sticks. Gotta keep them on your ground so they can grow, and those interior fields would be perfect for that!
And I was not suggesting taking a bunch of trees out. Just if you have a few small openings, work the ground up and get something planted.

By the way, the are just picking on me with the beer comments and expensive seed!!! :smiley_blackeye:[/QUO

Thats pretty much what i wanna do is just a couple small spots with some brush i could push out and clear it easily for now but in the near future i will be planting the fields and stuff on my own. I like the way my place is set up but i agree with some crops in these fields it would draw all kinds of deer in and hold some to.