Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fluteman's Hunting Diaries

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Well, I figured it was about time to kick of my 2012 Hunting Journal. I had debated about even posting one, but figured it would be a good place to combine hunts and trail camera pictures. This year, I have decided to take a different approach with my cameras since the season has started, and I pulled them out of the areas I was getting pictures of Claw, Pitchfork, and Stickers. There additional hunting pressure in that area, and twice I have had people move in on my cameras. I have deployed those cameras on other neighboring properties in hopes of catching new bucks on camera, or even possibly the three mentioned above, relocating due to hunting pressure. I have also done the same with the cameras I had up on the farm where Splits, Cuz, and BT reside. My plan is to get into these areas when the timing is right, and use the element of surprise to hopefully allow myself a shot at one of them.

I've also decided this year to make a more concious effort to consider my travel routes to and from the stand. Before, I have always used the most direct route, or the easiest route, to get in and out as quickly as possible. Several of the sets I hung this year require me to cross open fields, so I have been trying to use low spots and drainages to get in and out unnoticed.

So far, I have only hunted three times, all morning hunts, in a stand I call the Oak Flat. Originally, I had intended to save this for the end of October, but since it is a new spot, I have decided to hunt it a few times and get a better idea of how the deer travel. Despite the lack of any target bucks on camera, I feel this spot will be ideal when the bucks begin seeking does. It is absolutely littered with buck sign, and the does flock to this area to feed. I am situated 40 yards off a field to my south, with the ridge running west to east, and creek bottom to the north, not 50 yards behind me. I've got pictures of some great up-and-coming bucks in this spot, including a 120" legit 12pt that could blow up in a year or two, and a wide, young ten point. Also, I got a few pictures of Splits in this spot, and this camera is right at a mile away from where I had pictures of him all summer. I don't know why, but that blows my mind considering the farm he was on this summer has all the essentials he needs to survive. My best guess is he was either out cruising, or one of the big boys told him he needed to head on down the road!

I have been on three evening hunts with Kate, in pursuit of a beautiful young 10pt, but so far he hasn't been seen from the blind. The field edge we are on was leading up to bow season, but died off like someone flipped a switch. For two weeks, I didn't get but a handful of pictures of deer. That all changed this past weekend, with deer returning to the field. Saturday night, I sat on top of the hill and watched her buck haning out in front of the blind with 30 minutes of shooting light left. Trail camera revealed that he had shown up that evening at 6:30, and was in there until just after dark. I have faith that if we sit this blind enough, he will eventually show.

So, in order to get everything caught up, here is the cliff notes version of our hunts so far this year.

10/2/2012, Evening, 2.5h, SE Wind, 80F
Groundblind - Skunked!

10/3/2012, Morning, 2.5h, S-SE, 54F
Oak Flat - One doe @ 07:15 working the field edge from E to W

10/4/12, Evening, 1.5h, SW, 74F
Groundblind - Skunked!

10/6/2012, SIGHTING, EVE 7PM
Kate's buck @ groundblind, nobody hunting

10/7/2012, Evening, Kate (solo), 52F
Groundblind - Skunked!

10/8/2012, Morning, 4.5h, SE, 39F
Oak Flat - Busted deer off field on way in (3+, bonehead move); reconsidered route to stand. Two does fed in behind me from NE to W from 8-9, without offering a shot, and eventually worked around to my SW at 9:45. Smalled doe walked right under stand, bigger doe circled me to the W at 35y. Tried to sneak a shot in under a branch, but didn't quite make it. Deer took a few steps, but then stood there for 15 minutes trying to figure out what happened. TOO far to shot again with a deer on high alert. She disappeared to the W, and not sure what happened to the other doe after the shot.

10/8/2012,Evening 1.5h, S-SE, 49F
Groundblind - One unidentified deer to our left (east), working the inside edge of the wood line at 6:15. Two does came out in far field at 7p, and worked to 30y by 7:30. TOO dark for Kate to shoot.

10/9/2012, Morning, 4h, Calm, 33F
Oak Flat - One doe @ 8, S from field edge, worked past @ 30y headed NE. Around a dozen turkeys were roosted to the NE making all kids of racket, flew down, and fed from NE to SE, then along Field edge to E. One doe came back through at 10:10 from NE to SE, then worked W along field edge out of sight.

No buck sightings yet, but that doesn't bother me one bit. May sneak out Thursday morning after work, since it's gonna be a cool one. I've got a spot I wanna hunt, but haven't quite figured out how I'm gonna get to it yet. I've been waiting for them to take the crops off the field I need to cross. Going in just after daylight may be the best thing for me this first time. Guess we will see.

If the weather stays warm this weekend like they are calling for, I probably won't hunt but Saturday morning, then take Kate to the blind if she wants. I've got some things I need to do around home this weekend, so I may take the opportunity to do so. Also thought about taking the wife to the Bob Evans festival Sunday.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Thanks fellas!

Kate went out this evening by herself again, and had the same two does come in. She could have shot the smaller of the two at 7, but was holding out for the bigger one. She came into her range, at 20y, but when she went to full draw, she was having trouble seeing, due to fading light, and decided not to shoot.

I think I may head out in the morning after work and giving it another shot. The weather is saying it's gonna be 29 degrees in the morning with winds out of the south. Only problem is I won't be able to climb into stand until around 7:30, as I will have to shower. Gear is already packed and ready to go though, so that is a plus.

If the weather stays the same, I will hunt Saturday morning, and that will be it for the weekend. Figure I will hang one last set of sticks this weekend, and prepare for long break next Friday.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Well, took Kate to the blind this evening great night to be out there! Saw seven deer total, five does, a 4pt. and Kate's buck. Two came out at to the left of the blind at 20y, but the other five came out across the field, 200y away. Not sure what that was all about! But I guess that's hunting. Glad to finally see him from the blind. Can't wait to seer him close up!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Well, I didn't do any hunting this weekend. I did take Kate out Friday and Saturday evenings, but just couldn't get myself psyched into going out myself. I'm hoping this weekend will light a fire under me hanging out with the TOO crew!

Figured I would share a few photos with you guys.

This is a young guy I got pics of on the oak flat, the 12pt. I was talking about. IMO, this deer has loads of potential if he can make it another year or two.

This is Splits also on the oak flat. This picture is a mile from where I had pictures of him on a regular basis.
It's not a great picture, but I am 100% sure it is him.

Here is a hard horned pic of Kate's buck.

And then this guy. He showed up three different times in the period of a week. The last series of pics I got of him were less than an hour after sunset. His rack is very unique and his brows remind me of Big E from last year.

He's got pretty good tine length, but just a weird rack. I think it's crazy how he has good tine length on the left, but that his g3 is the longest of the tines on that side. Then the way his right side has the g2, then all that space before the g3, just odd...

Kate has to work Saturday and Sunday, so I told her I would take her out Friday evening, and she's going to hunt Thursday evening since I work. Next week, I'm gonna hit it hard in the mornings, and take her out every evening if need be. It's getting time for me to get out there and start getting after a buck.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Good deal buddy. That new buck is a hog with the belly all full like that lol. His rack is pretty strange but cool TOO. Hope that this weekend gets you firethere after your target buck man. I also hope that Kate gets the chance at her buck here soon.

Good luck you 2