Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First real Season

tjeep

ripper.jpgrip.jpg

Got the little guy fitted for his vest! Worked him on the Ohio with some big water stuff this weekend. Love his drive and he's handling blinds really well, steady as a rock to shot. Really impressed with him for 1.4 years old. I took him to North Dakota, last year a 5 months, he mainly upland hunted, but had several Phez retrieves, he picked up a few easy ducks last year. He's going to have to earn his keep this year, he will share the retrieving responsibilities with his Dad. Headed West in 9 days cant wait!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll be out there in November. Hopefully you guys have a great trip. It sure is fun hunting out west!

tjeep

We hunt the Western side, from the forecast looks like we will be dealing with some skim ice on the sloughs. Looking forward to some cool weather. It truly is amazing place shoot a limit of mixed bag ducks in the morning eat a big breakfast, take a nap then go shoot Phez, sharpies and huns, then repeat for the next 10 days. My favorite trip of the year! Good luck out there!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We hunt the Western side, from the forecast looks like we will be dealing with some skim ice on the sloughs. Looking forward to some cool weather. It truly is amazing place shoot a limit of mixed bag ducks in the morning eat a big breakfast, take a nap then go shoot Phez, sharpies and huns, then repeat for the next 10 days. My favorite trip of the year! Good luck out there!

Over the last few years, I've seemed to get even more enjoyment out of the upland portion of our trip. Getting into the pheasants and sharpies is just a shit load of fun. I look forward to this trip so much... Every hunter from Ohio owes it to themselves to take a trip out west. It's such a great experience. It's hard to even find the right words to describe it.

tjeep

The crazy thing about it is you can have many different types of hunts if you choose to. One morning we will set up on big water and shoot Cans, Redheads and Blue Bills, the next day we will set up on a small hole shoot Teal, Mallards and Widgeons. I don't field hunt just because I love to work my dogs over water. Same with Upland, one day your in cattails over your head shooting roosters in your face, next day walking miles of grassland letting the setter stretch out to 400-500 yds. or hunting an old farm where you might find all 3 together. We're hauling 6 dogs 3 labs and 3 setters, you can burn through dogs quick out there! Bird hunters paradise!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The crazy thing about it is you can have many different types of hunts if you choose to. One morning we will set up on big water and shoot Cans, Redheads and Blue Bills, the next day we will set up on a small hole shoot Teal, Mallards and Widgeons. I don't field hunt just because I love to work my dogs over water. Same with Upland, one day your in cattails over your head shooting roosters in your face, next day walking miles of grassland letting the setter stretch out to 400-500 yds. or hunting an old farm where you might find all 3 together. We're hauling 6 dogs 3 labs and 3 setters, you can burn through dogs quick out there! Bird hunters paradise!
Ha! You ain't kidding. Our dogs look like they belong in a SPCA commercial with Sarah McLachlan when we get back to Ohio. Lol.