Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First Day Numbers (ODNR)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Anyone with a bit of woodsmanship and a straight shooting shotgun should LOVE the weather we've had. My gun has been taken apart, dried and re-oiled a dozen times this week... And I have walked up within spitting distance of deer every time I've hunted on farms that still have deer! To me, and my preferred style of gun hunting, this weather has been PERFECT! If I were one to sit on the side of a tree, maybe not so much.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Anyone with a bit of woodsmanship and a straight shooting shotgun should LOVE the weather we've had. My gun has been taken apart, dried and re-oiled a dozen times this week... And I have walked up within spitting distance of deer every time I've hunted on farms that still have deer! To me, and my preferred style of gun hunting, this weather has been PERFECT! If I were one to sit on the side of a tree, maybe not so much.

About 7 years ago on opening gun day I was creeping through the woods in the rain with my smoke pole. I stumbled upon a 150" buck 10 yards in front of me, I raised the gun and he took off. That was on public land. Unfortunately I had my head down as I was walking or I might of seen him sooner.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Several years ago I shot a buck at 11 steps as he lay in his bed during the bonus shotgun weekend. To me, there is nothing more rewarding than slipping up on 'em like that. He wasn't a giant, but he's one I'll never forget!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It really was, Ron. I snapped a pic of him as he lay there and sent it to my buddy (Swantucky's dancing partner). He asked if the deer was dead. I replied, "Not yet, hang on a minute"... bang. :) I have the pics on my old phone, I'll have to figure out how to get 'em off there. Jackalope has one of 'em I sent him a couple of weeks ago before that phone croaked...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It really was, Ron. I snapped a pic of him as he lay there and sent it to my buddy (Swantucky's dancing partner). He asked if the deer was dead. I replied, "Not yet, hang on a minute"... bang. :) I have the pics on my old phone, I'll have to figure out how to get 'em off there. Jackalope has one of 'em I sent him a couple of weeks ago before that phone croaked...

Was that rudolf?

treehanger

I hope they ban baiting, might help the deer population.
Personally I do not think that baiting makes for a substantial kill upon deer. I would rather say that (nuisance deer permits) killing does in the early summer allowing the fawns to starve has a very large impact to the deer population. Something that I am totally against. I think perhaps something that no one has though of is today's working environment. Twenty years ago individuals worked in factories where coworkers mixed be it company soft ball games, bowling or other outings. In that situation it was easy to get permission to hunt upon a coworkers property. Now days that sociability has went to the way side. It was not uncommon twenty years ago to see deer drives where 30 people or more might be involved where as now most in my area are solo tree stand hunters which limits the amount of deer that would be on the move due to the human movement. As in the rain deer will often bed down tighter than a rabbit on a rainy day and with no human movement they will stay where they and only move very late in the day.
I believe as I said deer herd decline I put upon the ODNR policy of nuisance deer permits but the weather and hunting style has a bearing on the actual kill numbers.

Certified106

Whatever it is they will either 1) be thrilled it is high 2) say it was just low because of the weather and the deer population is right where they want it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What pisses me off is Tonk is already blaming the weather, yet we all know it wasn't shitty in the whole state; just portions. He'll point to dead squirrels on the road, weather, lazy hunters and alien abductions long before he ever owns up to his roll in the destruction of our deer herd.

Certified106

What pisses me off is Tonk is already blaming the weather, yet we all know it wasn't shitty in the whole state; just portions. He'll point to dead squirrels on the road, weather, lazy hunters and alien abductions long before he ever owns up to his roll in the destruction of our deer herd.

We need a like feature on this forum so I can like this post a few times lol

antiqucycle

East Ohio
There were a lot less hunters out yesterday on a sunny and warm day despite the flooding and just plain muddy ground. Why did everyone stay home? Where were the guys who work all week? The PCR's should have been out in herds. I drove thru one public area of 4000 acres yesterday afternoon and saw only 7 trucks, well spread out. no shooting going on. I drive 60 miles to hunt and I saw one spike buck on the road in the dark, and virtually no vehicles parked that looked like hunters.

As for the guys who constantly wack the biguns, I think I have seen every poaching trick possible. I would like to see anyone on a atv with a loaded gun banned for life. Next on the list are guys buying amish corn fed bucks