Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finelysheddeds 2015-16 hunting journal

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Good luck Ric! Sorry to hear about the idiot on the quad, you should of told him to hit the front brakes really hard!

YKW!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck Ric! Sorry to hear about the idiot on the quad, you should of told him to hit the front brakes really hard!

YKW!

YKW................that was well played! LMAO

He was on level ground in the creek bottom. I thought about walking down and asking him if he had permission to be down there but don't want my things messed with if you know what I mean. My truck could have 4 flat tires or get keyed while I'm hunting and don't need that headache..... Ugh!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well just catching up on my journals and updating stats.

Friday morning and mid morning were a wash cuz I had a HVAC guy scheduled to check furnace at 8:00 and he left at 9:30 then I caught up on my work around the house. I eventually got everything done that needed done and headed to our tree stand until Karissa could join me.

I pulled a card on other side of the farm and was in our stand at 2:30. Karissa was up with me at 3:30 and got skunked this evening by the time our feet hit dirt at 5:45.

My solo hunt

Deer Sightings 2
Buck Sightings 6
Doe's and other deer Sightings 1
Yote Sightings 0
Turkey Sightings 3
Deer encounter but no visual 2
Spooked or busted encounters 2

Hours hunting 23.75
Number of sits 8

Karissa and my journal

Deer Sightings 3
Buck Sightings 1
Doe's and other deer Sightings 2
Yote Sightings 0
Turkey Sightings 0

Hours hunting 15.25
Number of sits 7

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Saturday had us starting our hunt at 10:30 am due to us mother swap out bedroom suits till 1:15 am..ugh! Any who just glad to have another project behind me leading into my week off for Bowhunting.

We saw small bucks cruising and browsing pretty much throughout the day starting at 11 am till maybe 5:15. It was about 1.25 hours between each sighting but they were all younger deer just meandering waiting on something to happen. A couple of the 4 we saw nudged a young doe in a section of standing corn that is beat down but I don't think she was in heat though.

We had a good hunt and saw some deer which sure helps me keep her motivated and entertained. I am very proud of her for sticking it out for another 7 plus hour sit. She got cold a couple times because of the westerly wind in her face but didn't complain once about it.

We had a great time and laughed a few times at the gray squirrel has he carried honeysuckle limbs up a tree for his nest and dropped a couple. Good time for sure!

Karissa and my journal

Deer Sightings 9
Buck Sightings 5
Doe's and other deer Sightings 4
Yote Sightings 0
Turkey Sightings 0

Hours hunting 22.50
Number of sits 8

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Haven't done very well at updating but with the lack of sightings this shit gets pretty easy! Lol

Hunted back home in SE Ohio with Ron from 4pm Sunday evening thru Thursday at dark with maybe a 3-4 hours not hunting in high winds and rain. I didn't see any shooters and just a handful of deer during that span. It just wasn't happening in the areas I hunted.

I saw a big doe and 3-4 little ones on Sunday night,skunked Monday and Tuesday. Saw 3 does chasing each other on Wednesday at 5 till dark. And saw a small buck with his nose to the ground Thursday night at 5 PM and heard several different bucks grunting and cruising well after dark as I stood by my truck waiting for a buddy to get back to his truck before leaving. I bet they ran all night long only to spend most of the day on their asses! Lol

My solo hunt

Deer Sightings 11
Buck Sightings 7
Doe's and other deer Sightings 9
Yote Sightings 0
Turkey Sightings 3
Deer encounter but no visual 5
Spooked or busted encounters 2

Hours hunting 65
Number of sits 13

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This past Friday I waited till Karissa got home from school and get her shower then we both headed to the farm to hunt during those high gusty winds! Shouldn't have hunted from the tree as it was not only dangerous but just was t worth the risk. If anything we should have hunted from the ground but it didn't matter cuz the deer just weren't there. So another 3 hour hunt that resulted in another skunk. We hunted from 2:45-5:45 Friday the 13th.

Saturday morning brought us a picture perfect morning with very cool temps but very calm winds if any. We were in our tree locked and loaded by 6:45 and saw our first deer about 7:10. I saw it was a buck with his nose to the ground so I hurriedly grabbed my grunt tube and let out a few tending grunts. I video'd him as he came in on a string giving her countless shot opportunities but he was just a 1.5 year old 7 pt and she was content on just watching him do his thing.

We saw another buck with his nose to the ground but traveling much faster for me to call him in but he wasn't a big buck either so no biggie. A couple hours later, around 9:30 we saw a bb buck come thru at 25 yards below us with 2 big does in tow. She had lots of shot ops at them to but wants to shoot a decent buck. A few minutes later a small doe came walking and running on the same path going the same direction as if she piddled around and got left behind.

We climbed down at 11:30 and dropped off our bows at the truck and shed a few clothes and went a pulled a double set before heading home to eat and rest. I wanted to watch the Buckeyes game and she took advantage of the time to take a small nap. Had we had ANY big buck sightings on our cameras or on the hoof we'd have made it an all dayer but just nothing happening there yet! He both got back up in stand with no busting of deer and sat from 3:45 till 5:45 with year another 2 hour skunk.

Oh well, we tried! We'll give it another go this next Friday and Saturday!

Karissa and my journal

Deer Sightings 15
Buck Sightings 2
Doe's and other deer Sightings 8
Yote Sightings 0
Turkey Sightings 1

Hours hunting 30
Number of sits 10

Gordo

Athens County
Been slow as shit for me too buddy. Just not happening where ever i decide to hunt. With that being said, somethings gotta give!!!

Keep at it in your free time. Good luck

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
There is no better feeling than hunting with your daughter. My most enjoyable hunts are with my daughter...also named Carissa. Good luck to you both.

That's pretty cool Mike!!!

No there isn't buddy! We have a great time enjoying the peacefulness and beauty surrounding us. We've laughed at the antics that our local squirrel population has been doing around us this season. Watching them drop leaves and branches while building nest, fighting over a hole 40ft up in a tree that's being used as a nest,losing their balance and falling to the ground and everything in between. One squirrel we named Muffy because he's got fuzzy white ears that make him look as though he's wearing white ear muffs. I sticks out from the others and appears to be picked on a bunch! Might have to change his name to Brian but he ain't licked a winder yet! LMAO..........YKW

Kariss did here some clucking,yelping and gobbling for the first time in our 3 years of hunting together during deer season on Saturday morning. Around 10 after making all this ruckus she said she saw a couple roost in a tree inside the finger we hunt near. That was neat to see for her.

We're just enjoying the time we have together and hoping eventually one that tickles her fancy gives her a shot!

Thanks for the well wishes and good luck to everyone else as well!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like your having fun hunting with the daughter. I miss hunting with the 2 grandsons since their 18 and 20 now. The granddaughter said 'she's not the woodsy type' but does say maybe someday. My DIL said she would go sometime.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Friday...November 20, 2015 at 9:40-9:42am....

Will be a day Karissa and I will never forget! It's taken me awhile to even want to sit down and type this out as what started out to being the most epic of highs in our entire hunting time together didn't pan out as we've had liked but it was an awesome memory we both will always treasure!

This very cool crisp morning found Karissa and I perched in our favorite stand at 6:45am all ready locked and loaded. Even the squirrel activity wasn't great but the temps were in the high 20's winds were calm or mostly still out if the SW and the sun still over an hour away from cresting the tree line off the the east.

About 9:30 I looked down over my left shoulder and noticed Karissa working her hands fighting off the cold as she's been holding her xbow since we sat down so I told her to quickly and quietly hang it up till she warms herself up. So she did that and sat back down and fought off the cold and was quickly back to normal in 5 minutes or so. Both of our heads were on swivels up to this point and we were planning on sitting all day if it took that long.

It was just a few minutes later I felt the tap of Karissa's hand and I turned to see her pointing out in front of her and saw a dandy nice buck quickly walking through the inside corner that TG8 walked through last year. He had a couple corn stalks hanging off both sides of his rack and was walking as if he was on a mission with an nasty attitude. I whispered to Karissa, "Shooter, quietly get your xbow and get into shooting position as I grabbed my grunt tube and video camera which were both at the ready tucked into the front of my jacket.

I immediately threw out several grunts just to stop him then pressed my record button on the camera. He stopped and started to look around for the source of the grunts with fodder hanging everywhere. He took a few more steps down the hill about 35 yards out and I grunted again. Then he stepped a few yards closer and looked up in our direction but seemed to look right through us and back to looking down the slight hill he was on. He finally started to walk slightly angling towards us toward several big shooting windows below us out to 29-30 yards away. As he entered the first window I grunted and stopped him on a dime right in the middle of it the whispered, "SHOOT "! Karissa couldn't see very well unbeknownst to me cuz the sun that was over her shoulder at the time was glaring into her scope. He was at 28 yards at that spot and started to walk slowly to the 30 spot just a few yards away then I grunted again stopping him dead in his tracks again. I whispered, " SHOOT" and this time she shot and I couldn't have been more pleased with her shot placement and performance than I was right then!!!
I spun the camera from him running away with a xbow bolt buried up to it's fletch's into his chest to her and whispered loudly, "KARISSA, You just killed a F-ing monster!!!"

I wasn't very proud of saying that but my emotions were bottled up at this point and just came busting out all at once I guess. This is when I first realized I failed as a cameraman! I can't believe I waited till then to check to make sure the camera was recording but it was and I must not have hit the button squarely in the heat of the moment. My main goal was to get him stopped and headed towards her shooting windows which I am very happy about but not getting any of it on film still hurts badly to this day!!!!

I turned the cam on and did get out immediate reactions and emotions on film and called Ron and shared our moment with him over the phone which was cool.

We gave him 20 minutes and slipped out of the tree,gathered our stuff up and quietly headed down to where he was standing and saw blood just 5 yards away headed down into the creek bottom and out towards where I parked my truck. We followed blood pretty easily out to behind my truck at 30 yards where he crossed the road. He was not pushed and must not have stopped any up to this point so we just hung out talking about everything and started calling for some help. An hour later we resumed tracking with the help of a good friend(Dennis) and tracked him pretty easily the next 250 yards till he went onto other property which I needed to get permission to go any further.

This obstacle really hurt our chances of recovering him that day as the LO didn't want us on his property till he filled out our forms and he didn't get home till 6:45 that night. We didn't get papers signed till well after 7:00-7:15 and by then the tracking was very difficult in the dark across his bean stubble field. We looked around an hour then decided we'd come back at first light which also was first day of youth gun season(obstacle number 2).

The next morning we had two hunters hunting in close proximity of where our search needed to go so we spent 4 hours searching areas near there but unfortunately not the right areas but at least we were able to eliminate them. I told one of the hunters where we lost blood and after he hunted he and his buddy were able to pick up his tracks cutting across this big beanfield and spotted blood as well, not much but a drop here and there nonetheless. They were able to track him another 200 yards before the heavy rains set in but gave us additional information as to where he was headed and opened the door to the possibility he might not be mortally injured. This could actually be a single lung hit as he has yet to bed down after traveling 600-700 yards. The blood did have many bubbles in it but the fact that he jumped a fence and has yet to bed down in such a long distance sure started to make us wonder.

My work has done it's best to keep me from the search but I've put in a lot of time and boot rubber on the ground the last few days eliminating even more areas he could be laying in. I hope he's not laying in any of the standing cornfields in the immediate area but there's a real good probability he's still alive as well.

It's our hope he's still alive and will eventually fall to a ethical and deserving hunter but if he is in fact dead we hope to find him ourselves and learn something from this whole ordeal. We're both still not giving up our search!

Karissa and my journal

Deer Sightings 16
Buck Sightings 3
Doe's and other deer Sightings 8
Yote Sightings 0
Turkey Sightings 1
Shots taken 1
Deer recovered 0

Hours hunting 33
Number of sits 11

Last edited: