Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Early season stands.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Oak flats and AG field edges....(only entering them in afternoon and hunting the evenings though.) I also try to get out early enough before all the wrong deer pin me up in my stand. If I don't think an encounter with a deer I'm after will happen I'd rather slip out early than get stuck in a tree till after dark and risk tipping off any deer of my presence.

It's absolutely crucial to enter and exit your stand with as little disturbance as possible. If we as hunters were as anal about this important factor as we are about scent elimination we'd be a lot more successful, especially with the mature deer. Sometimes it's best to just chalk up a hunt as a win for a target deer and get after em on the next hunt.

I also don't start hunting mornings till around the 20th of October give and take a few days. The October lull is coming to an end and bucks start getting antsy,scrape and rub activity spikes and the seek phase is heating up! Gotta love hunting the week leading up to Halloween!

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Oak flats and AG field edges....(only entering them in afternoon and hunting the evenings though.) I also try to get out early enough before all the wrong deer pin me up in my stand. If I don't think an encounter with a deer I'm after will happen I'd rather slip out early than get stuck in a tree till after dark and risk tipping off any deer of my presence.

It's absolutely crucial to enter and exit your stand with as little disturbance as possible. If we as hunters were as anal about this important factor as we are about scent elimination we'd be a lot more successful, especially with the mature deer. Sometimes it's best to just chalk up a hunt as a win for a target deer and get after em on the next hunt.

I also don't start hunting mornings till around the 20th of October give and take a few days. The October lull is coming to an end and bucks start getting antsy,scrape and rub activity spikes and the seek phase is heating up! Gotta love hunting the week leading up to Halloween!

great post! I agree!

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo

Well said. Sometimes if things just are not right ill stay on the couch, I believe that sometimes this is the best place to be.