Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Early Goose

Qback5

Cool. I got some of each to see what I liked best. The full size sure will give some visibility. Enjoy and good luck! I've become a big fan of Dakota dekes...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got some new reeds yesterday and retuned my moneymaker. Haven't used it in a couple seasons (been using a FP raptor) so I'm looking forward to getting it back on the lanyard. It's sounding pretty damn goosey!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Dems nice. Those Dakotas are a nice decoy fer sure. I have been wanting to get some more full bodies myself but don't have room to haul any more right now. Kind looking for a enclosed trailer to use for geese as well as hauling the snowmobile and gear to erie to ice fish in winter(when we actually have winter)
Its crazy how much difference reeds make. I have a GK Giant Killer that was sounding not great the end of the yr. I opened it up and the reed had cracked. Put a new reed in and it sounds top notch now. Thinking of messing with my other calls now to see if it tunes them up.

Picked up a couple more spots last night I think could be good. Also swung by a couple fields close to the house I have had permission in for yrs in the evening and one was loaded. But they've been bouncing between a few spots I have permission for...hopefully they stay and don't disappear but odds are they'll be somewhere else by season.

Last edited:

Wmiller07

Dems nice. Those Dakotas are a nice decoy fer sure. I have been wanting to get some more full bodies myself but don't have room to haul any more right now. Kind looking for a enclosed trailer to use for geese as well as hauling the snowmobile and gear to erie to ice fish in winter(when we actually have winter)
Its crazy how much difference reeds make. I have a GK Giant Killer that was sounding not great the end of the yr. I opened it up and the reed had cracked. Put a new reed in and it sounds top notch now. Thinking of messing with my other calls now to see if it tunes them up.

Picked up a couple more spots last night I think could be good. Also swung by a couple fields close to the house I have had permission in for yrs in the evening and one was loaded. But they've been bouncing between a few spots I have permission for...hopefully they stay and don't disappear but odds are they'll be somewhere else by season.

I found a spot loaded with geese. Just gotta get permission. I want to get another half dozen full bodies and some shells too. I can only cram so much crap in a corolla

Wmiller07

Got a couple, definitely could have limited but there must have been something wrong with my shotgun because I couldn't hit anything. IMG_20160903_094337568.jpg

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Nice job. Gotta knock the rust off . We had a good hunt this morning . Back at it tomorrow

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We killed 5 on a local lake that isn't know for it's waterfowl population. Actually a cool story I'll throw up here later this weekend.

AMiller

We set up close to a road because the geese changed fields on us, to a much smaller field. Had a flock of 8 come in and we got 6 out of it. 10 seconds after all the shooting, I Sh*t you not, 3 people on unicycles road by followed by 6 people on bikes and then an Amish buggy and a car. All in a line like one after the other. My uncle said look we got a circus going by. Then the car stopped and watched us for 5 minutes. Very odd and very funny to see. Only thing missing was a juggling clown.

We were hunting an Amish farm, when we got done I walked over to my truck parked on the wood line not to far way. And out jumped this Amish guy from behind a bush. He was watching us the whole time, I had no idea.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Early goose can definitely be a circus . Hopefully tomorrow is good . This cool weather is definitely a bonus . Only 3 of is tomorrow . I hope it works out . Good luck guys

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
We set up close to a road because the geese changed fields on us, to a much smaller field. Had a flock of 8 come in and we got 6 out of it. 10 seconds after all the shooting, I Sh*t you not, 3 people on unicycles road by followed by 6 people on bikes and then an Amish buggy and a car. All in a line like one after the other. My uncle said look we got a circus going by. Then the car stopped and watched us for 5 minutes. Very odd and very funny to see. Only thing missing was a juggling clown.

We were hunting an Amish farm, when we got done I walked over to my truck parked on the wood line not to far way. And out jumped this Amish guy from behind a bush. He was watching us the whole time, I had no idea.
Geese are probably the only huntable wildlife on an Amish farm[emoji23]

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Another good day . Limited again by 730 . It's nice getting done early and having time to scout other fields . Gonna hunt 5 or maybe even 6 tomorrow so hopefully the birds cooperate

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Good stuff fellas. Only been out once since the season came in and we killed two. New guy started banging to soon that cost us a few others. I am headed to Marietta this afternoon to an allegedly loaded field. We shall see...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good stuff fellas. Only been out once since the season came in and we killed two. New guy started banging to soon that cost us a few others. I am headed to Marietta this afternoon to an allegedly loaded field. We shall see...
Tons of geese around here right now. It's like late season honestly. We keep getting more and more resident birds by the hundreds every year. Crazy how much the population has exploded in recent years.

IW207Bowhunter

My boy shot his first goose Saturday very proud of him. Birds didn't want to commit to my decoy spread for some reason so Sunday o changed it up and he got 3 and I shot 5 by 8am. We had a blast.

IW207Bowhunter

Thanks Carpn and Whimper07. We are both pumped for duck season. I hunted a lot of waterfowl before I had the kids. Kinda stopped when they were born. I got back into it last year now that my oldest can hunt and it's a blast to get back into. He hooked!!