Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Doe aged at 20 1/2 yrs.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That is crazy..... I'd of thought she would of fell too an arrow or bullet by then.... Even a predator..... Go figure....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How do they know she didn't have bad teeth from genetics like humans sometimes do? Dental disease.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How do they know she didn't have bad teeth from genetics like humans sometimes do? Dental disease.

That was my thought as well. My wife takes 3xs the care of her teeth that I do and has all kinds of fillings. I chew, brush once a day and have only had one cavity my entire life. Not all teeth are created equal...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm with Joe and Jesse on this. 22 years is like 3 times the age of a deer that's defied all odds by making it to the age of 7! lol

Bigcountry40

I would like to see a picture of the actual deer when it was killed, it couldn't have been pretty or tasted good. The underlining message of that article is to get people to practice better deer management. There was article about the life of a spike that grew into a 170 and died at like age 12 also in New York. It had pictures of the deer every year spike to death, very cool to see the progression.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hell I don't know either I just posted the article as written. But it does come from a good source. LOL

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have read on the 12yr old spike to stud buck. I believe that was in Charlie Alshiemer's enclosure. Even with minimal pressure 12 was all he made it. Not saying 10-12 or maybe even a bit older isn't impossible. Just doesn't sound likely. Good discussion piece though Frank.