Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DIY Lighted Nocks

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just made up two of these like the video shows, and they work great! Light up every time and easy to turn off. I found the Thill Nite Brite bobber lights at Walmart for $3.36 each.

[video=youtube;hMqLT-4ezzk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMqLT-4ezzk[/video]

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awesome! thanks for sharing Jim! And to think I was considering dropping $15 ea on a couple of these. Forget that. I can outfit half dozen arrows for less than the price of one store bought lighted nock.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
you get a pack of a doz clear knocks for what? $6?? Somebody sticky this please??

I used some clear nocks, but the nocks don't necessarily have to be totally clear. Translucent nocks of any color will work. You can even drill a very small hole all the way through the nock, out the back of it, so you get a little "window" to see the LED light through as the arrow flies away from you.

saddlepants

central Ohio
I used some clear nocks, but the nocks don't necessarily have to be totally clear. Translucent nocks of any color will work. You can even drill a very small hole all the way through the nock, out the back of it, so you get a little "window" to see the LED light through as the arrow flies away from you.

Well yeah, thats what he showed. By clear thats what I ment..Listen to what I mean and not what I say:p They look near exactly like the nocturnals. Do Nocturnals blink? My easton tracers did but the magnet was a crap idea.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Nockturnals don't blink.

Now my question is this. Wouldn't drilling a hole in the center of the nock weaken it and possibly cause it to fail and split as you release the arrow ? I would be affraid to drill that hole.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Nockturnals don't blink.

Now my question is this. Wouldn't drilling a hole in the center of the nock weaken it and possibly cause it to fail and split as you release the arrow ? I would be affraid to drill that hole.

Possibly but you are applying that small bead of super glue right at that ridge I think so that can make up for it.

saddlepants

central Ohio
That brings up a question I have - Not to change the subject but the new carbon express arrows I have seem to be awfully tight on my string...should I file them on the inside a bit?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Nockturnals don't blink.

Just about all illuminated knocks have holes drilled in the ends of them to allow the LED to be seen better during flight.

I've debated trying this several times in the past, just haven't ever done it. I don't like the idea of having to pull the nock out after every shot, but that's me. Thanks for sharing Jimbo!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Just about all illuminated knocks have holes drilled in the ends of them to allow the LED to be seen better during flight.

I've debated trying this several times in the past, just haven't ever done it. I don't like the idea of having to pull the nock out after every shot, but that's me. Thanks for sharing Jimbo!

Got ya. I never really looked that close to the lighted nocks to notice.

Might have to think about doing this tactic :smiley_chinrub: