Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Disgusting

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm so SICK of people saying we can kill 2-3 bucks this year with the new tag structure. Three times today guys in my office have informed me that you could kill more than one buck now in Ohio. One is a new resident, the other two are WV guys coming to hunt Ohio for the first time this year. Gross negligence comes to mind when I think about how poor of a job the DNR has done with the new regs. You have to SEARCH for the defining statement that you can only kill one buck. I'm of the opinion, as a skeptic and critic of the DNR, this was done on purpose.

PLEASE fellas, do what you can to educate people on this matter!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
And as sad as it is, it will happen because of the way the regs are written and the fact that some people are just dumbasses. What's even more sad is that the DNR probably won't do a thing about it.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I know what you mean Jesse. I have heard it more then once and was quick to point them in the right direction. I agree it is an easy to fix wording issue the DNR overlooked and there will be uneducated and little motivational people that will fall for the trap. I also agree the DNR will do little about multi tagged bucks UNLESS the 2nd buck is X points and they pull it to follow up on. At that point they will fine the person but will be a smack on the hand and told not to do that again.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I always try too enlighten people when they read into things.... Sometimes it's just not worth it and I look forward too seeing their names in the paper for screwing up.....

rsmith

I try and tell people as well. I hate how the wording is, come out and plainly state, ONE antlered deer only. That's is. Like how hard is that to put in bold print?? And also people just need to learn how to read.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I never was under the impression you could shoot more than one, I know better.... But rather than read the regs, this is why I come to the interwebz!

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
People really think you can shoot more than 1 buck a year in Ohio? I'm only out there 2 weeks a year and I know that's not legal. As Ron White says "you can't fix stupid"

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
ODNR had something on their facebook page about the new deer regs. LOTS of confused people and strange questions on the comments. Don't believe anyone from ODNR responded or tried to clear things up either. One of the main things was the bag limit with the new crazy colored map thing they came up with but a common one was the no doe tag counties and people asking if the limit is 2 or 3 bucks. That's a little scary. Can't wait to hear the stories about people shooting bucks during early muzzleloader and using a 30-06 during the gun season. :smiley_depressive:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You can't fix stupid. Just check the stats from 2013 deer harvest and 69 bucks were checked in during doe only early ML season. Stupid is and stupid does.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
The question is, did any of the people who checked in illegal bucks during early muzzleloader recive any kind of disciplinary action? For some reason I have to think no.

I am not sure how eager the dnr is to stop this type of thing. They are still getting dead deer which is the idea anyway.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I think its two fold. They get more dead deer AND they have increased opportunity to gain revenue by busting the most blatant offenders.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The question is, did any of the people who checked in illegal bucks during early muzzleloader recive any kind of disciplinary action? For some reason I have to think no.

I am not sure how eager the dnr is to stop this type of thing. They are still getting dead deer which is the idea anyway.

If you want to know it's as simple as a freedom of information act request.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Why they all are until you get caught. I sold a H&R 45-70 rifle at the Lima Dog Trails to a Amish guy. And they said with the ramrod under the barrel you can use it during ML season because it looks just like a ML and no one will know.

Yeah, just wait until gun season. Then the real fun will begin.

"Hell, I thought all rifles were legal now?"

lol

Coming from Michigan our license system is a little different and a little hard to explain but in general for gun season your buck tags are your first licenses you purchase. From there if you want to shoot does you have to get separate antlerless tags. Now looking at Ohio, when you can buy up to (3) either sex tags...and there is the antlerless tag it almost gives you the impression you can shoot more than one buck. I've been around the block a time or two with Ohio licenses so I know better but these other guys who read in the magazines and on TV that there is a buck behind every tree in Ohio.....

It would be interesting to hear how many second or third bucks get called in from years past, if they were even looking out for it.

angelzd28

Ive been hunting ohio all my life and last year I had multiple people tell me you can now shoot more then one buck. I even had to tell some of my family members that its still only one buck. I put almost all the blame on the ODNR.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
It states about 6 or 8 times in the regs 1 BUCK ONLY PER YEAR - maybe in there more times - double dang - maybe some never passed their reading comprehension test - ho lee shit

Last edited: