Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Determining your buck

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've never killed a buck big buck, but I know instantly when I'm in a tree and see a buck coming if it's "Go Time" or not. There has to be zero doubts that a buck is a shooter (for me) or I won't take the shot. I have never had a moment where I would second guess not shooting at a buck because I didn't think he was a shooter.

Now, not taking a shot opportunity because I was certain I would get a better chance, that's a different story...:smiley_blackeye:

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I killed my first deer with a bow in 82 or so. I've been at it a while I suppose, but I'm still not what some would consider overly picky. I will shoot a 130 every day of the week here in Ohio. In fact several years ago, I shot a 130' deer shortly after seeing a 190 chasing a doe within 75yards of me. I know what the big one measured because we killed it two days later. I don't care, 130 is good enough for me because I KNOW they don't come along everyday - at least where I hunt. I always wish every deer I kill had slightly longer tines, a little more mass, longer beams, etc. All that non-sense creeps into my mind after he's on the ground, and I quickly remind myself that the deer did his best to grow the antlers he had, and I did my best to put him on the ground where he lays. As long as you do it right, clean and ethical, there is no real reason to wish you hadn't shot. I only regret that the hunt is "over".

Its a personal thing. If the buck you kill made you grab your bow as soon as you saw him, don't degrade the experience with "what if's".

As usual Brock, took the words out of my mouth.

For anyone wanting how big of a buck is OK to shoot....Shoot whatever makes YOU happy. That is all that matters. Just dont shoot and complain later.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Had had that second buck given him a shot, I'd have felt sorry for him. As it is, he should be thrilled to have filled his tag on a damn good buck AND to have seen a buck of that caliber in one hunt. Kinda sucks, but it could have been worse.

On a side note, he didn't smoke anything but crack right there. That was a piss poor shot followed by another and yet, he "smoked" him. Ridiculous.

RUT NUT

@Jesse I can't agree more about the piss poor shots! I just happened to stumble across that video the other day and after reading everyone's posts in this thread....I thought it would fit in perfectly. It just goes to show that you NEVER know what's going to happen while out hunting. I myself would be happy with the deer he shot....but man what a ball buster to see a deer of that caliber right after filling your tag. I guess what I'm getting at is....if you want to shoot a deer over 150....then you can't shoot one under 150. It's as simple as that. I ate my buck tag 3 years in a row waiting on a shot opportunity like the one I was presented with last year. Was it worth it? HELL YES! I learned a ton those 3 years while in the stand! It's been said 100 times and will be said 100 more. Shoot what makes YOU happy! I have an 8 point I've been watching for 3 years now that doesn't score anywhere near the one I shot last year. I also have 4 more bucks that are running around bigger then this 8. I would love to shoot this 8 I'm talking about "Candlestick" for many reasons. The main reason being he's a mature buck. Other reasons would be history, characteristics and this dude has an attitude like no other buck I've seen! His bottom lip is hanging off of his face from fighting, his ears are all ripped up, he's got a palmated G2 on his left side that looks like a "Candlestick" and he has the smallest head and snout I've ever seen on a deer. Haha! All of these things make him a trophy to me. Check out "Candlestick"! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348193219.283349.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1348193256.855768.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1348193268.564741.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1348193289.501776.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Candlestick is what I am talking about! He is a trophy to YOU. (He would be for me as well for what it is worth.)

I don't need to kill a buck just to say "Look! I got my buck!" My great uncle does. That man has killed more deer than the blue tongue but never has killed a "huge" buck. He just can't hold out. He sees a fork horn and he is shooting. I guarantee you his experience exceeds the combined experience of a handful of us put together. However, his lack of self discipline is pathetic. In the end, he loves doing what he does and is proud to tell everyone he "got his buck" every year. I say, good for him.

For me, I am the opposite. I am willing to go years and years without a buck if it means the bucks i kill are what I consider darn good bucks. Will I regret it later? I don't know. It is a chance I am willing to take. Is it because I have walls full of bucks already? Nope. Just my stance on it. My work and family obligations are heavy this year. I have several bucks I would kill on trail camera right now. First one of them I get a shot at is getting an arrow or bullet. I might get a chance this year, but then again I might not get this chance for several years. Chance I am taking.

Whatever you kill, I am sure you will be happy with. Sitting around and wondering if it was the right one or not? Once you kill it, it is too late to go back. Eating your tag and kicking yourself after the season, it is also too late. If it floats your boat when you see it from the stand, then it is probably the right deer!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Candlestick is a stud! Awesome frame,great color and heavy. Is it me or does he dwarf the buck the guy killed in the video?!? If that buck in the video the guy killed scores 140" then I'm hung like a horse. Lol seriously, very nice bowkill and I'm happy for the hunter but just sayin'. The monster buck following is a dandy but looks like a solid 160's possibly 170" deer. IMO.

Goodluck with Candlestick Rutnut!

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
my plan this year is to take a camera with me every time I hunt. If a smaller buck comes in bow range and I dont want to kill him, I'll shoot him any way. And on the flip side, if I shoot a good buck early in the season and a better one comes through while I am looking for a doe He gets his picture taken as well. The old saying, "its not the kill, its the thrill of the chase" If I have a mounted head on the wall, next to a a bunch of photos, they are trophies just the same to me. "Yeah, I shot that one during the 2012 season, see that picture of that booner? had him at 20 yards the same season." The big one may not be hangin on my wall, but i outsmarted him just the same.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I said I wasn't shooting another buck I wasn't putting on my wall. I hunted hard last year, sun up to sun down, 7 days straight. I saw 6 deer. Wall caliber for me is P&Y.

I was pulling out 4 days early because the lack of deer was so bad. I packed all my stuff up, went to put my horns away and figured I might as well hit em together one last time. Sure enough, I rattled in a 110 inch 10pt. My gauge is if I see it and don't immediately think "shooter", then it isn't. I immediately thought, "not a shooter". I had time to think and gather myself and thought, this will be my nicest deer, I've hunted hard, on public ground no less, and no one in camp has killed a buck. I made a great double lung on that deer and he ran 60 yards and piled up. I got to take it over to my best friends, who lives in jersey but comes to hunt Ohio once a year on his ground, and get pictures with him. I got to celebrate my first 100 inch kill with him. I didn't mount that deer, but he sits proudly atop my fireplace mantle euro mounted. I would have loved to achieved my goal I set out to, but I'm extremely happy every time I walk by that deer. I even stopped this morning coming up stairs to look at him.

In the end, you have to shoot what makes you happy. I killed a doe my first week of bowhunting when I was 14. My Grandpop said, "you might never kill another deer". I'm thankful to say, he was severely wrong on that account! What I wouldn't have gave to have him here and take a picture with me and that 10pt though...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That smile you're wearing is why we all hunt. Nice deer!

No doubt about it! Impala's story is what it is about. Sometimes the "standard" we have set for ourselves is greatly outweighed by the story and memories of the hunt. That is a great looking buck and (from what it sounds) was close to upper end of what the public area offered. Sounds like a shooter! Congratulations.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
There are far bigger deer than him out there, but I was still pumped something fierce after shooting him. Was all around good memories. Definitely one deer I wasn't in regrets over shooting, even though it wasn't a target buck. In all honesty, hunting has gotten less fun the more I've matured as a hunter. I remember being a kid and hardly being able to wait to come home and call that same buddy, to tell him I had saw a buck that night. But I say, if he gets your heart racing, or the bell rings "shooter", that's what it is for you.

In my experience with my buddy though, great stories far out weigh great deer.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
We work very hard on taking good pictures. Cleaning the deer up and showing the pay off of hard work and hard hunting. You have to be happy when you kill any deer! It's no small feat with a bow! I've shot deer I've mistaken and been unhappy with. He's the first buck I've killed since 07... I think we all get wrapped up in score too much. If he gets your heart racing, I say draw back! Of course I'd like to keep killing bigger deer each time, but I hope I never get to a point where a good P&Y deer doesn't get me jacked! In this age of digital cameras, take as many pictures as you can to savor the memories with everyone. And like everyone said, SMILE!