Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer walking

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Definitely a good concept, especially on those really dry and perfectly still mornings. Sometimes walking to your stand it's impossible to got quietly. I would still think you should try to do it as quietly as possible so you don't sound like a deer stomping with every step taken through the woods. Thanks for the video Hoyt!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very interesting. I've used a walking stick several times in the past to try and duplicate that same sound. I would think this method might be better. Thanks for sharing the great info.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wow... I can honestly say that trying to sound like a deer while walking never even crossed my mind. I could see this being very effective. It's just a shame that it is so time-consuming. Patience is not exactly my strong suit.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Wow... I can honestly say that trying to sound like a deer while walking never even crossed my mind. I could see this being very effective. It's just a shame that it is so time-consuming. Patience is not exactly my strong suit.

Amen to that. I tried it turkey hunting on Saturday and it's about impossible for me...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Amen to that. I tried it turkey hunting on Saturday and it's about impossible for me...

Instead of toe / heel. Try it heel / toe. It's not as loud but that's how I always walk in the woods when going to my stands. Similar to how he does it just reverse. Not as slow or as hard on the toes. Just take smaller steps and you can move quite normal. Also, one thing he didn't mention is to stop every once in a while. Deer mosey around. Stop. Browse. Etc. ole Fred bear would often stop and pluck a leaf or two from a branch. Served to sound like a deer browsing. But also a constant wind check when stalking.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Instead of toe / heel. Try it heel / toe. It's not as loud but that's how I always walk in the woods when going to my stands. Similar to how he does it just reverse. Not as slow or as hard on the toes. Just take smaller steps and you can move quite normal. Also, one thing he didn't mention is to stop every once in a while. Deer mosey around. Stop. Browse. Etc. ole Fred bear would often stop and pluck a leaf or two from a branch. Served to sound like a deer browsing. But also a constant wind check when stalking.

I have always done this when going in to my stands in the afternoon when it's crunchy. I can't tell you how many times I have just made it into my treestand to have a deer walk right by. IMO, a deer is more cautious about a person heard trying to sneak through the woods than a hunter walking at a faster pace. Like Joe said, you gotta keep the wind in mind and watch your pace.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've even ran the last 100 yards or so to my stand on dry crunchy mornings. If you pause a few seconds and proceed you can cover more ground faster.....just watch out for low hanging limbs.lol