Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer ticks???

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Hey every everyone... finally had a chance to get out in the woods and work on the hunting property... Long over due... spent 5 hours mowing and that damn grass was 3' high so my John Deere was working overtime!!!! We still got a lot done but the question and concern I have Deer Ticks... Finally made it home and unpacked and needed a shower... Prior to showering I checked myself as well as I could with a flashlight and got in the shower.. Well as I soaped up I saw a tick hit the bottom of the shower... Problem is Im not sure what area it came from, so I can can look for the dreaded bullseye in the area... I saved the tick in a bag, but is there anything I should do? I have some doxycycline, should I take it just to be safe??

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
If you didn't have to pull it off, then it must not have bit you. Once they bite, they don't let loose until they are totally full of blood.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had the bullseye rash 2 yrs ago and took it after I developed the rash. They say a deer lyme deer tick has to feed at least 36 hours before it can transmit the disease so you should be ok but I would still keep my eye out for the rash to develop and if it does get a new prescription. The blood test for this disease are not very accurate. I still have on and off pain in my thigh where I was bitten, I hate ticks.LOL

I'm thinking like Diane, if it washed off easy then it likely never bit in. Once they do a shower usually won't take them off unless you feel it and give it a tug. I also think Boarhead is right on with the length of time and all.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Ticks in Ohio don't carry lyme disease. Ohio ticks carry rocky mountain spotted fever. No matter where they bite you the bullseyes will show up on your wrists and stomach. If you are having flu like symtoms after coming in contact with them get to the doctor asap!!!

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
thanks for all the info... as a precaution, I took 200mg of doxycycline under the doctors 72hr window. I also did another inspection before racking out and all clear of ticks. Hate these damn things.. Anyone have a hook up on bags of Seven...

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ticks in Ohio don't carry lyme disease. Ohio ticks carry rocky mountain spotted fever. No matter where they bite you the bullseyes will show up on your wrists and stomach. If you are having flu like symtoms after coming in contact with them get to the doctor asap!!!
Ticks that carry Lyme disease have been found in all 50 states and every continent but Antarctica.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Was passing info that i got from a safety meeting we had at work. Looks like she is wrong but i won't be the one to tell her lol. Sorry about that.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It still makes me wonder after having endured one of the longest harshest winters in decades why they are so bad this year?!? Imagine if we had a winter like we did about 3-4 years ago! Yikes!