Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer score rant

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Oh BTW, for those if you that haven't seen the show Raised Hunting yet, it's like know other hunting show! It's a breath of fresh air. So far there's been no mention of any scores and pimping of products like you normally see. Just a guy and his wife sharing their love of hunting with their two boys learning life's lessons along the way.

https://vimeo.com/57482146

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The show where they were talking about hit lists was bow hunt or die.... which is on bowhunting.com
I don't really care for Todd's co host on that show, I think his name is Justin. I just want to smack that hat off his head, he looks like an idiot, if he wore it down any further on his dome he'd be eating it.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I don't get caught up in scoring deer mostly because where I live we don't have the genetics you have in the midwest. For me a good buck is 8 points or better and the spread is beyond the ears. I know some bucks that meet these parameters won't even score 120 but any time I've seen one in the woods it gets my heart racing.

Davidflorida

Meat eater is another good show . Registry buck down here in fla 100. Inches , any deer to me taken on public land is a trophy .

Davidflorida

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440387322.464407.jpgmy buddy took this opening week he's happy , took a little different critter this weekend ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440387413.010161.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I started to reply to this a couple of times now and got side tracked. Score has become something that people use so nonchalantly any more that is has taken away from what that score once meant. Take a true 140" 8-point. That is a rare buck. He has to have above average measurements in every category, or at least world class measurements in tine length and mass. The majority of casual hunters do not comprehend what a true 140 8 really is, yet I hear people throw that score out in relation to 8-9 point frames all the time. Then I see the deer they are talking about and it's a mid-130's buck at best. Score has become the indentifier in the same way the Mountain Dew, Skoal, Rigid Tools, Goodyear, Quaker State, Jimmy John's Ford has become in NASCAR. Humans have a need to quantify and scoring a buck does just that. Unfortunately there is no prerequisite to being able to score; you can just make shit up and throw it out there...

angelzd28

I have conflicting feelings on this. On one hand scoring doesn't really matter. If the deer gets your blood pumping and you want to take it then by all means take the shot. Me personally, most deer get my blood pumping, especially if its a buck over 2 years of age. So its hard for me not to care at least a little bit about the head gear on the deer. I will say that when a "shooter" walks up the last thing on my mind is oh he's only gonna score 130. The chase and shooting of the buck should be what's its about, scoring the deer afterwards is just icing on the cake. The last two years i've killed a 151' and one that would probably score in the low 140", so this year im going to try and kill a deer at least that big or bigger, because I know there are deer on my property that fit that category.If that doesn't happen, oh well I enjoy hunting more so for the experience and the chase then just a score that in the grand scheme of things doesn't matter. If your happy about the deer you killed then I'm happy for you. Deep down most of us would love to kill a 200" deer, but lets be honest most on this site don't have these booners around every tree so we hunt what makes us happy. Just my 2 cents.

Not to de rail, but that show " Raised Hunting" looks refreshing.

I have been watching this show for about the last year now religiously. It has a very unique theme and some very good video editing techniques. Its nice to see a show that is more focused on traditions and what hunting can be to a normal family....I just pray that this does not turn into the next Drury type television show.

I like the religious ties they bring into as well as how they focus on how the family integrates hunting into their normal life of which is true for the vast majority of hunters out there. Although I have heard them reference hunting "big" buck on a few shows they have by no means come across as "Score" or "Trophy" hunters to me. It is nice to see a family putting this kind of material out and I think the real eye catcher is how they have been documenting their hunting adventures since there children's early years and how well it choreographs.

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Part of me wishes I could forget about scoring and unsee every big deer picture I've ever seen. It'd be refreshing to see every deer with as much amazement as I did as a little kid without having to decide whether or not it's a "shooter". But I can't so I guess I'll just live with it :)

Diablo54

Outside
I love when they kill a 2.5 year old 120" and say he was an old buck with no potential.

Yes I shoot 120" deer but I don't get on here and talk about how old it was lol.

I love when they kill a 2.5 year old 120" and say he was an old buck with no potential.

Yes I shoot 120" deer but I don't get on here and talk about how old it was lol.

I hear you there! It's all about the moment and whether you want your buck hunting season to end at that point.

Score has become something that people use so nonchalantly any more that is has taken away from what that score once meant.

I remember the first time I threw out a score of a big buck I had spotted to an old friend I hadn't seen in a long time. He used to shoot a lot with the rest of the neighborhood back in the day and for the most part grew into hunting by bowhunting state land up north in Michigan. So to him and even me back then a buck was really just called a young buck, a really nice buck, a giant or a wallhanger LOL! As I was talking to him he asked how the hunting was in Ohio and I said to him that I saw a buck that would go 160 the previous season and he looked at me and said "I don't even know what that means...." Guess it's good to just get back to basics and what puts a smile on your face. Probably the reason I'd never get one measured either.