Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer decoy question

I picked up a used deer decoy yesterday
It needs a little paint touch up , but for $10 I figured it was a good buy

But now the question
As I will be trying to lure a buck out of a small thick woods early enough to get a shot
And I have never used a deer decoy

Is it best to put the decoy out in plain sight in the field
Or up close to the woods in the edge of the cover ?

Also I found a old overgrown "lane" into the woods
Only 2-3' wide any more at best
But it will let me shoot 15 - 20 yards into the woods if I decide to set up next to it

Thanks
John

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The expert say with a doe decoy to put the rear end of the decoy pointing towards. The buck is supposed to go to the rear end to check it out giving a shot.
On the other hand the times I used a decoy it never worked as the deer just avoided it.
Good luck and let us know the results.

If you have a set of horns to attach to the decoy point the decoy towards you so the live buck will come around to the front to make eye contact with the decoy.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've not used a decoy much, but I've used them enough to know you need to set them in an open area. You want the deer to see the decoy at a distance. I've set them up in wooded areas and had deer come unglued when they saw it at close range. Conversely, when they see them from a ways off, it piques their curiosity and they often work in to it. I have a good looking one, called the boss buck I think, and its fun to hunt over. I just don't have the ambition to carry the thing out but maybe once a year...it's loud to walk with too.

I've not used a decoy much, but I've used them enough to know you need to set them in an open area. You want the deer to see the decoy at a distance. I've set them up in wooded areas and had deer come unglued when they saw it at close range. Conversely, when they see them from a ways off, it piques their curiosity and they often work in to it. I have a good looking one, called the boss buck I think, and its fun to hunt over. I just don't have the ambition to carry the thing out but maybe once a year...it's loud to walk with too.

I have the same one and it is a pain to carry, but it looks real and I have had bucks come to it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Frank gave good advice on placement as did Brock. I've used one a few times, but like Brock, I hate carrying it. And its loud. I usually just stash it in the brush near where I plan to use it.

Thanks

I picked up some paint today
So I will touch up where it needs it

And then I think a trip past the woods on the ATV is in order to drop off the decoy
As the farmer harvested the beans the other day and the 1/2 mile walk in isn't a big deal
But the darn decoy is bulky and makes noise every step I take with it

So I guess I will try putting it out in the cut bean field
I found a trail that leads out of the woods into the corn field
So I figure .....maybe I can pull the buck out of the cover to at least take a look at the decoy

Thanks
John

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have a full size decoy that has a story with it which I think I've told already.
I also bought 2 Montana buck Decoys at a give away price that fold up. I cut the horns off the one and so now have a buck and doe decoy. Damn they look so real I surely wouldn't set on the ground during gun season.
I've only used the doe decoy couple times. One time I have it up in my woods and a doe come in from behind but she can't see anything since it's only 1/2" wide. She walked past it and when right beside she looked at it and just jumped out of her skin. It scared her almost to death as she jump straight up in the air and ran about 15 ft. and just stood there snorting and stamping her front feet. I was laughing so hard I didn't even take a shot at 20 yds. That was a great experience.
I'll have to try them again.
Looks about like this one but with a blue tint. They blue tint the decoys because deer can see some of the blue color.

http://www.montanadecoy.com/hunting-decoys/deer/the-freshman

Last edited:

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Frank gave good advice on placement as did Brock. I've used one a few times, but like Brock, I hate carrying it. And its loud. I usually just stash it in the brush near where I plan to use it.

Very good advice from all.
I've been using decoys for a while now, I use (2), a buck and a doe that is beded down within a few yards of the buck. I've done it in the fields, which clearly gives you great results and I've done it in the woods with similar results. The key is the time of the season to use it. I play the odds and use both, for the simple reason that some bucks regardless of young or old with shy away from it, but they see a doe they just gotta come in to check things out or they feel it is safe to venture in.

I've been usin the CarryLight decoys, they come apart pretty easy, light to carry, and aren't to crazy loud when putting them togeather.

Like others have mentioned, I usually bring it in and stash it, then at night I make sure I cover it up with branches with leaves so the deer don't see it..

Also, if you plan to use scent with it, DONT SPRAY IT ON THE DEER DIRECTLY. You'll end up getting it on you too.
The other issue is, if you get a buck to come in, more likely then not, he will smash the $hit out it, I have many deer on vid hammering them. Talk about a rush when you see that at 25yds.
AMAZING...

JMTC, but I would rarely hunt my property without a decoy. Use of a ATV to bring stuff it, etc makes thing easy...

Good luck.. Post pics when you see it happen...

ohio
Ive used decoys several times. Had fawns try to play with it, had a fawn try to nurse from it, had it up as a small buck (used real antlers) and had a 140s buck run in full blast plow it to the ground and never stop running. Had some smaller bucks skirt it alot always to leave and had some shooter bucks skirt it. Only had luck in mature open woods never in a field. Best action ever was when i had her laying on the ground ( no legs) and had a 120-30 skirt her for an hour then bedded down 30 yds from her and wouldnt leave until i picked her up after dark. Needless to say i was worried she was covered in deer dander and had etrous tag under her tail

Everyone's hit on it pretty good above!! I haven't used one much either. The other day I was listening to Stan Potts talking about decoy set-ups on one of the podcasts I listen to and he talked about having it in the open like the others have said. Deer don't like to walk around corners of brush and be surprised of another buck right in their face. Place about 30-40 yards out and facing back at you and you being downwind of the decoy. Reason being, bucks will first circle downwind of it and then also to face their opponent for posturing and potential confrontation. Sounds good anyways LOL!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
When using a decoy during gun save be very careful. I have a decoy with 7 holes in the chest area to prove that point.