Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer and vehicle collisions

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Some cold hard facts why the state wants to lower the deer numbers.
I'm a Member of Handgun International which is J.D. Jones outfit. In this months Newsletter there is a chart issued by State Farm Insurance.

There was 1,231,710 deer collisions in the US from 6-11 to 6-12.
With 210,114,939 licenced drivers that's a 1/171 chance of a accident. Now that numer of drivers seems awful high concidering there are about 310M people in the US. I guess everyone drives.

Ohio had 67,699 collisions with 7,963,372 drivers and that a 1/118 chance of a accident with a deer each year. Ohio is rated 16th in the country. WV was rated Number One.

As has been discussed in the past here just who do you think is the big movers in reducing the deer numbers? Now we know for sure.

Frank

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just a short few years ago Ohio was rated one of the highest in the nation like number 2 or 3.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
But we still have 700 k deer...yep hows that happen...with ohios population increasing..

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Where did said deer accidents occur? I can almost bet that the majority of deer car accidents happen in metro parks or in areas noone can hunt.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Where did said deer accidents occur? I can almost bet that the majority of deer car accidents happen in metro parks or in areas noone can hunt.

I agree with Wayne. I did finally see some road carnage off US I 71 from Cincy to Cbus for a change. Prolly about 8 total roadkills but didn't see a single deer on my 200 mile one way trip to my moms place this morning. I rarely see any deer on my trips to and from her place and that goes back about 5 years TOO.

Lundy

Majority? That I'm pretty sure would not be true.

Last edited:

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Taken right from the ODNR Deer report for 08-09.
"From 2003-2008, the number of reported accidents dropped an
average of 5% per year. "

Then they go on to say, "This change is most likely related to changes in
reporting rates over time . Since most insurance companies no longer require an
accident report, motorists may be less inclined to complete them except in the case
of personal injury . Thus, we have chosen to discontinue use of reported deer-vehicle accident data as a metric to track Ohio
deer population trends and will no longer publish such data in this report."

Seems to me that the data in the report wasn't supporting their "agenda" so they nixed it and passed it off as they go unreported blah, blah,blah. I have never heard of anyone getting into a collision with a deer and it not being reported. Pure baloney if you ask me. Call your insurance company and tell them you hit a deer and ask them what they want you to do. I bet they would instruct you to "call it in to the authorities so there is a record of it." I've been down that road, so I know how it goes. Also, I found an article that indicates there are alternative ways to reduce deer/vehicle collisions (near the end of it). Maybe Nationwide should look into those and stop lobbying a state agency for it's own personal gain.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/deer-crashes-auto-insurance.aspx

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just a short few years ago Ohio was rated one of the highest in the nation like number 2 or 3.

Just quoting the report. The top 10 States.
WV,IA,SD,PA,MI,MN,WI,MO,WY,NE

Now remember this states are not the highest number of deer hit but the hightest chance of being in a accident.

Frank

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Majority? That I'm pretty sure would not be true.

I was actually meaning the areas around the states larger metropolitans(Toledo,Cleve,Cbus,Cincy,Dayton and other cities). Even cities like Canton,Athens,Youngstown and Findley have larger deer numbers due to lack of deer hunting access. That is what IMO, leads to most deer and vehicle collisions in not only our state but others as well. High number of drivers that drive at a high rate of speed in these areas where populations are flourishing is pretty much a no brainer. Imo

Lundy

Maybe, but I would love to see a plot map of the deer car accidents, I'm always open to learning something new, but I doubt one exists. Maybe in counties with major urban areas like Hamilton, Franklin, etc, the majority in those counties would be hit in areas where no hunting is permitted, but I doubt that is anywhere near the majority that are hit in the state. There are just a lot more suburban miles that urban in Ohio

I drive around 40,000 miles a year with my job, through all of Ohio, as well as other surrounding states.

I can assure you that there are a lot of deer hit everywhere that I travel, 71 from cols Cin and Cleveland, 70 East and West from Columbus, 33, both ways, 50, 32, 23 about any highway with speeds high enough to make it harder to avoid a deer. I see a lot of dead deer everywhere I drive, I know the ones I see that the majority are not isolated to areas that don't permit hunting.

GMbuck

Maybe, but I would love to see a plot map of the deer car accidents, I'm always open to learning something new, but I doubt one exists. Maybe in counties with major urban areas like Hamilton, Franklin, etc, the majority in those counties would be hit in areas where no hunting is permitted, but I doubt that is anywhere near the majority that are hit in the state. There are just a lot more suburban miles that urban in Ohio

I drive around 40,000 miles a year with my job, through all of Ohio, as well as other surrounding states.

I can assure you that there are a lot of deer hit everywhere that I travel, 71 from cols Cin and Cleveland, 70 East and West from Columbus, 33, both ways, 50, 32, 23 about any highway with speeds high enough to make it harder to avoid a deer. I see a lot of dead deer everywhere I drive, I know the ones I see that the majority are not isolated to areas that don't permit hunting.

The state tracks deer/car crashes and the numbers have declined significantly. The prior poster is correct as well. Most deer crashes take place where there are very many more cars than huntable deer. There were 22,690 crashes in 2011 and Cuyahoga had over 100 more than Guernsey, Hamilton had about twice as many as Muskinghum. In fact, Coshocton, Monroe, Morgan and Noble combined had far fewer crashes than just Summit county. In 2011, 1 deer was run over for every 2 that were killed by hunters in Cuyahoga. In Coshocton, it was almost 100 hunter kills for every one deer/car accident.

For comparison, in 2001 there were just over 31k reported deer/car crashes.

Gordo

Athens County
I was actually meaning the areas around the states larger metropolitans(Toledo,Cleve,Cbus,Cincy,Dayton and other cities). Even cities like Canton,Athens,Youngstown and Findley have larger deer numbers due to lack of deer hunting access. That is what IMO, leads to most deer and vehicle collisions in not only our state but others as well. High number of drivers that drive at a high rate of speed in these areas where populations are flourishing is pretty much a no brainer. Imo

Road kills on court street?