Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Decoys

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Another trick you can do with a buck decoy is to leave 1 antler off. The buck will approach head on at the angle of the missing antler figuring to have a distinct advantage. It's one more way to get that buck positioned where you want him. Also, I usually have the decoy more like 40 yards out. You don't want the approaching buck to come in behind you. So, I don't like to be to close to the decoy. If the decoy is out 40 yards then when the buck comes around front of him to approach, you should have a nice 15-20 yard chip shot.

I absolutely love decoying bucks. It pulls 100% of their attention to them. Movement to position of shot and draw is so easy.

Also, we're getting into the breeding phase of the rut. Now would be a good time to have a standing buck decoy over a laying down doe decoy. That, or if I only had 1 decoy then I'd probably do a laying down doe decoy. Bucks are looking for love now, not to fight.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've had plenty of time to think. So I went out and changed his position to face the blind. What I'm thinking is it won't matter either way. I haven't seen a freaking deer. I could have him laying on his back with feet in the air. Lol. Yes. It's been a slow morning.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMrFEX0JqN4

I do not know how to edit vids for YouTube so I just vid short clips. By watching these vids you will think the deer spooked off. What you don't see is that both of them come back. Each of these deer were killable for at least ten minutes. Decoys are amazing.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I forgot about this or I'd have mentioned it sooner; pin a real tail on the decoy. I believe it has helped or I would not have mentioned it. I think I used a wood screw but can't remember and my decoy is out on loan.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If not mentioned before on decoy use. Place the doe decoy rear end facing you so the buck will come around to the rear to smell and won't see you drawing your bow.
Place the buck decoy facing you as the buck will want to look the decoy buck in the face and that way the live buck won't see you drawing your bow.

My experience has not been good using a decoy. Does wanted to stare and bark at the decoy doe. Small bucks walked around the doe decoy rather scared.
Had a doe decoy laying down and a buck decoy standing beside it and nice bucks at 50-75 yds paid no attention to it even after I got their attention by grunting.
It sure isn't like on TV. My decoy is best left at home.

A funny decoy story. many years ago we had a army veteran working for us and on the last day of gun season the neighbor is picking corn beside my woods. I took him up into the woods thinking the corn picker may drive some deer to him. Nothing showed.
Walking out of the woods at last light there's a doe standing at 40-50 yds. I told him to take it. He shoots 4 times and the damn thing never moved. He said here you try. I reloaded and shot 3 times and it still doesn't move.
I said the hell with it as the scope must of got knocked off. We walk out and the damn doe still doesn't run off. We walk up to it and unknown to us my son snuck in and put my doe decoy out in the hay field and there was 7 shots in the kill zone. My son is setting on top of the hill laughing his ass off. Still use the decoy with 7 kill zone holes. It's still a good story around here.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County

Brought him, he walked around pawed the ground then walked off. Did it’s job, just want a bigger boy to come check it out

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I have only used my decoy a handful of times, but this is what I once did. It was time to leave and a small in love buck would not leave my decoy. I did one of those snort wheezes and then growled on my grunt call. The result was him literally turning inside as he high tailed outta there.

Buckmaster

Portage
Last time I carried my decoy into the woods a hunter walking by took a shot at it with his xbow. He missed.

From high in my perch I yelled, "You better reload and try again!" Embarassing moment for him.

That was the last time I used my decoy. It scared more deer then it attracted. It found its way to my garage sale.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Last time I carried my decoy into the woods a hunter walking by took a shot at it with his xbow. He missed.

From high in my perch I yelled, "You better reload and try again!" Embarassing moment for him.

That was the last time I used my decoy. It scared more deer then it attracted. It found its way to my garage sale.
Years ago i was coyote hunting at Deer creek wildlife area with a flambeau decoy. Someone drive down the lane and shown a spotlight on me and the deek a few hundred yards across the field. I thought it was the GW and started packing up to go meet him, the crack of a rifle told me that was wrong. Never hunted with a decoy since outside of turkey season.