Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dead mornings

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've got the right plan, but ..... I went back out this am to my ground blind after, aww hell, I didn't even set my clock. I woke up anyway & after laying til 6am, I hit the shower. At 8 am a 8 pointer walked right by after switching directions once he was in my neighbors yard. Just wasn't the right one. Nothing else seen, 'cept squirrles. The weather's gonna be changing & I'll get back out to my climber this evening.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
About 8 I had a young doe come by with a decent 8 and 3 smaller bucks. No shooter even if they were in range.

Yesterday morning pandaemonium broke loose. I watched a 3.5 yr old buck fight off 6 others over a hot doe. Then he bred her and made them watch just to show off. It was something to see & I'm sure I'll never forget.

Ricer2231

Slow morning. I heard two walking before daylight and saw a doe and a small buck about 10:00 pass through and that's it. I think I'll grab some lunch then head back out.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Saw a couple button bucks and a 1.5 yr old half-rack cruising around. The last two mornings have been really slow for me.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
At 9am I had a smaller 8 pointer dogging a doe who had two others with her in my neighbors yard, then go back the way they came. I need to sit out behind my shed which is on the corner that they're cutting thru into a thicket before they get to my blind.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Seen a big ZERO deer this morning and only one lone doe at 5pm today. Kinda sucked to freeze my butt off for that one doe. She wasn't in any hurry to go anywhere and there wasn't any big boys following her. Back at it again tomorrow.

Ricer2231

Could my rut be over? I snuck up to a field where the deer always go to feed in the evening and there were 3 little dink bucks and 15 does. No big boys and all the does were doing were milling around and feeding. I also haven't been seeing anything through the afternoon, just morning and evening. No chasing, no following, very slow. Maybe I am wrong,one of you guys with more experience than me chime in here and give me your opinion of what's going on in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
IMO, the doe bedding areas are where you want to concentrate hunting near right now. If you know of any in or near your property I'd set up there pronto! A lot of areas have lockdown and breeding going on hot and heavy right now. If you have a funnel or bottleneck that sits between two good bedding areas it would be a killer set up right now. Good luck!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
IMO, the doe bedding areas are where you want to concentrate hunting near right now. If you know of any in or near your property I'd set up there pronto! A lot of areas have lockdown and breeding going on hot and heavy right now. If you have a funnel or bottleneck that sits between two good bedding areas it would be a killer set up right now. Good luck!

I've got the perfect spot... Just not enough time to hunt!!!

Gordo

Athens County
My buddy has been hunting my biggest property and not seeing dick.

All the deer are laying low in the thick stuff. I keep telling him where he should be set up, but the dude won't listen!

Ricer2231

Thanks for the advice finelyshedded. I don't have the type of area you are talking about, the best I can do is hunt a travel corridor between their bedding area and a field they always feed in in the evenings. Saw just two does this morning. Heading to get some lunch then back in the stand for the afternoon. I wouldn't mind if this wind would lay down a little bit. Hopefully get an opportunity this evening when they head for the field.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I went out this morning & set up my Ghostblind behind my shed, which is inbetween my house & my neighbors with a thicket the deer go thru to my back. While I'm setting up, I notice on my phone that some deer are walking past my groundblind on the other side of the thicket in the wrong direction... go figure at 0715. At 10 am, a doe & fawn did walk by my groundblind & inbetween me & my neighbors house. I was standing to get the numbness outta my ass when I turned & saw her looking at me. Once she stepped back, I sat down & disappeared behind the blind, she ended up snorting & bounding to the back, but both deer did swing around & come past.... just further out. No bucks followed.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
There is something wrong with your set-ups fellas! I have been covered up with deer. They aren't moving far it doesn't seem, but I am in a funnel between thickets and they are bouncing between them. Been mighty exciting the last few days for me!