Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dantes 2013/14 journal.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang Dave! Sorry to hear of the deerless sits! I've noticed a lot of gun shooting myself. Sounds like an hour plus of target practicing nearly every evening that I've been out. Sure takes away from the peace and serenity I've enjoyed in years past! My, have the times have changed!
Keep plugging away buddy!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Well, my 4 day huntcation started out with a whimper.

Woke up this morning at 3:45 with a stuffy nose and scratchy throat. Thats not good.
I knew I had a lot to do. Other than the usual poop, shower, dress stuff I had to give myself time to smoke everything. I have had a busy week and didn't get a chance to wash my camo until last night. I did get them in the dryer before bed, but when I went to get them this morning I found that, for some reason it had stopped mid cycle and my stuff was still wet. That will cost me another half hour. Lots of other little things added up to not being able to get out of the house on time.
Called the sitter, told her not to worry about being here till around noon. That should give me time to get my chit together and get better organized for the rest of the weekend.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
guess i should up date this thing.

the evening sit on friday ended up being a bust when the landowner on the neighboring property decided to get out with the chainsaw with an hour of daylight left. I was sitting a pinch point that his property forms the west edge of and a doe bedding area forms the east side. i have good reason to believe there is a good buck bedding to the south of it. when he got out of his truck and started walking through i heard a deer blow and run in the opposite direction. the tree he dropped landed right in the bucks bedroom.

Set up on the other property sat morning Wind was out of the southeast temp was around 40 degrees moon was full behind a cloudy sky. right at sunrise i saw a deer on an inside corner of a cut wheat field about 80 yards from me, If she would have stayed on the trail she would have ended up right in front of me at about 20 yards, but she stayed on the field edge instead. i grunted and bleated at her which got her curious, but she wouldnt commit.
About a half hour later a fork horn came out from the same spot and followed the same trail. He did respond to the grunt and came into about 35 yards. i didnt want to shoot him so he walked right on by.

The next 2 hours were uneventful until the landowner showed up with a truck, 2 guys and 3 chainsaws. Started dropping trees about 150 yards from me. Time to go.

I headed south and poked around delaware wildlife for a bit but couldnt find a good spot that didnt already have someone in it so i headed back hoping the chainsaws would be done.
they were

i set up for the evening hunt in a hang on stand because i was tired of lugging that climber around. This stand is located about 100 yards further down the same wheat field I was on this morning, only it is right on the edge at the place where the field tile drains into a creek in the woods. the deer seem to like this spot.

it didnt take long before the neighboring yahoos decided to start shooting and blowing up tannerite. This continued until dark. right at sunset i was about to pack it up when a doe came through. I had her dead bang at 25 yards when i remembered the rut and looked back up the trail. There stood that same forkhorn from this morning, and this had to be the same doe. Let them both walk.

The forecast for today was horrible so i slept in and got some stuff done around the house. i did get out this afternoon to put a camera out and take advantage of the wind and the rain to do a little in season scouting. Found a couple interesting spots trimmed a couple lanes.

I am scheduled off tomorrow, Nut i think I will go in to work anyway, and see if i can change my day of till the gun opener.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
havent updated for a couple weeks because, quite frankly, there hasnt been anything to report other than more sits with no sightings.

checked the camera i put out 2 weeks ago. Had to images on it. One was me walking away after setting up the camera, the other as me walking up to it to take it down. this camera was located in a spot that typically gets a lot of activity. Not a single deer walked in front of it in 2 weeks.

i put 50 lbs of corn down on thanksgiving. Went back to sit this evening to find in 2 1/2 days it is completely untouched. At least i was entertained by the sound of gun fire, tannerite, and chainsaws all around me, right up until dark.