Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CVA 45/70 vs. Ruger 450 Bushmaster

Buckeyehunter59

Columbus
Hey guys,

Want to get a new rifle for this deer season. currently looking at the CVA 45/70 (since its only like $250) and the Ruger American in 450. Anyone have any experience with either of these? Leaning toward the CVA from a pure cost point of view but really like the ruger as well.

Thanks,

Adam

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have the Ruger, haven’t shot it yet but I’m a bolt action guy vs lever or single shot
Light, and has a good action and trigger pull on it. Every thing I’ve read it’s an accurate gun that’ll put a hurting on a deer...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Don't know a thing about the CVA. I have a Marlin 45/70 and a Ruger 450. The 450 is by far my preferred gun.

The Ruger American comes with a muzzlebreak on it. It has very little recoil. I would say that it is just slightly more recoil than a .243. Really important for me since I have kids that hunt. Someone on here recommended it to me. Glad they did because I really like it.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Keep your eyes open and your cash in your pocket until you find a Marlin 444 with a JM on the barrel. Its a far better investment than a CVA.