Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyotes 2017

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Moved to about a 10 minute drive from the in laws farm. Time to get more serious about this.

Set up the other weekend for a 30 minute call with nothing.

Ordered one of the Montana decoy coyotes decoy for using this next month or so during their breeding season. Also going to do some later evening or night scouting using sirens to get them to call back. Also going to download some extra sounds onto my foxpro wildfire 2 so i don't sound life every other yahoo out there.

Does smoking up like i do for deer work for scent control on coyotes?

Any other suggestions?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Smoking up works, I do before every yote hunt. I always start off with either a male or female howl, then work into the distress sounds.

OO2

In the Uplands
You can smoke up if you want. But, it will be in your best interest to play the win to a "T". Watch for them circling around downwind of you. I'm sure you already knew that but a friendly reminder never hurts.

Besides downloading alternate sounds on your FoxPro I would invest in some hand calls. These require movement and can be tricky but once you learn them you will have an edge over any Joe-smow who can go buy a FoxPro and hit play. I have a couple open reed calls and I enjoy using those the most as they allow for a broad range of sounds.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Never a bad idea to have some mouth calls simply because the batteries on your e-caller always seem to die at inopportune times. I don't smoke up before coyote hunting but I should. I just play the wind. This time of the year I start with coyote howls too. If nothing from howls, I have moved onto distress calls. I think where I screw up is often giving up on a set too soon. I have heard many say "If you haven't seen anything in the first 20min they are not in the area." While I do believe this could be true, this doesn't mean you don't have coyotes moving in from 1/2 mile away that you don't know are moving in. Wish I had some solid advice for you. Quite frankly, my success rates from strictly calling have not been stellar. It is probably the most difficult way to kill a coyote. BUT, when it works it is the most exciting way to kill one. Seeing them come charging is a crazy adrenaline rush. Good luck Hedge.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Downloading new sounds onto the foxpro wildfire 2 isn't hard, just follow the directions on the website. Updating the controller was more challenging and isn't mentioned in the adding sounds article, doh!

I now have 58 relevant to fairly relevant sounds.

I also picked up the Montana decoy kojo coyote.

The plan is to go out tonight and use a could of siren calls to locate any in the area and then set up on them in the AM.

Then my plan is to use coyote challenge calls to see if anyone wants to run my decoy out of the area.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Had friends over and didn't get out last night. I did get up and go out before dawn this morning and use the siren.

Nothing, nada, zip.

Will try again in a few days.

Rastus

IMG_0039.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish

Sunrise this morning.

There is the decoy and my foxpro. I am downwind a bit from them.

My view, had one or two respond i think but none came in.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Calf died and i know where it was put. How long till coyotes bother the carcass you think?

As soon as they find it... LOL

If dead calves are common place and they dump them in the same spot, the yotes are conditioned to this and will work downwind of it with routine, so it'll be hours and not days. If it's not in a good place for the wind to carry the smell to where the yotes hang out, it could be a few days.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Life intervened and I didn't get a chance to hunt that spot all week. I wandered down to it yesterday (Sunday) to see how much had been made into dinner for the 'yotes.

I was VERY surprised. Hadn't been touched at all and in fact there were the remains of 2 other cows that had passed on the farm in the last 6 months that were still basically intact with no obvious signs of coyotes touching them. However, its the same location the skins, bones and other non edible parts of the couple of deer that were killed during gun season were dumped. Those hides and pieces have been drug 50+ yards into the crop fields and messed with but not the cows.....
Any ideas?

My only thoughts are this:
1.) The weather has not been very bad and therefore the coyotes are not wanting for food which makes me hesitant to continue to use distress calls.
2.) The coyote population isn't as large as I had thought
3.) ? suggestions?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
They haven't been hitting the carcasses I have out either. The yote population is down around my spot this year, which is good. More will come around though. Maybe your yotes haven't made their rounds on that farm yet?

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think it has to do with warm weather and breeding season. They don't need to eat as much when it's warm and finding food doesn't require as much effort as it does in the snow and bitter Temps. Jmo. I have no clue.