Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote Samples Wanted - Your Help Needed!

Suzie Prange

Hello. I'm the state's furbearer biologist for the Ohio DNR. I am working jointly with a geneticist to determine the percentages of coyote, wolf, and dog DNA in Ohio coyotes. Ohio is unique in that it is a place where the eastward expansion of coyotes is meeting the southwestern expansion of coyotes from further northeast.

I am asking for help from coyote trappers and hunters. All I need is a piece of coyote tongue (about the size of a nickle) placed in a Ziploc bag and frozen. The only information I need is the date, location, and a description of anything odd about the coyote (white tipped tail, dark-black, etc.). I need about 100 samples from across the state, and I or my students are available to pick up samples.

If you can help, please reply to me here, or directly at suzie.prange@dnr.state.oh.us. Thanks so much for your help!!

oakswamper

around Toledo
Sounds like a trap guys, if they find wolf dna in them the dnr will put them on the Endangered Species list and we won't be able to get rid of them lol

I will donate a tongue if I get one ;)

I'd be careful about submitting any "evidence" to the ODNR. If what you shot would happen to have Grey or Timber Wolf dna in it, there could be charges filed. I could be wrong, but it seems to be that Grey or Timber Wolves are endangered.

Do you remember how much publicity that this man got? He shot what he thought was a large coyote.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunting/2010/03/coyote-hunter-bags-wolf-ohio

Bowhunter57

Last edited: