Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Could it be? 9 year or older old buck

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
He definitely passed on his genes to this one! He has a tear in his left ear but does look somewhat young and pretty spindly for a frame like his. He has great length though.

I concede that this wasn't Denali but I know a few were thinking if he had a double throat patch it sounded like it was assumed they carry that trait till death. Is that true? Does anyone know for a fact that once a double throat is established that it's there for good? Has a buck grew one later in life after not having one for the first 4-6 years? I don't know but clearly this buck isn't 9-10 years old but he sure has a lot of the antler characteristics his dad had!

I still wonder whatever happened to Denali! Poached and kept hush hush?!? It's crazy though cuz many are killed by either NR's or someone else we just don't know and we often think they're still out there.

For what it's worth, While Ron and I were at Derry's this past early November watching Derry mount Ron's deer Ron was checking out a real heavy 170ish gross buck killed by a NR from Boca Raton Fl but had the last name of a large family in our hunting area. After he checked his TC pics on his phone and put pieces of the puzzle together in his head he, yelled, You've gotta be kidding me!" That's right, it was a buck he'd been hunting for about 2-3 years and he has a shed from him as well!

If we hadn't went to Derry's that night, we'd never know what happened to him........THE END! Lol

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm not a expert here but I would say a deer with a double throat patch was born with it and it isn't going away during a life time. Also I see no way a deer with one patch will grow a second patch.

Kaiser878

ohio
Size if deer does not always equate age.... take this deer for example.... this was the 3rd year I had him on camera..... and his smallest rack.....I belive he was 4 or five the first year I got him on cam..... so u do the math.... and his body looks like he's three..... the only true way to age a deer is by consistent history......
uploadfromtaptalk1442574616172.jpg

themedic

OHIO
Size if deer does not always equate age.... take this deer for example.... this was the 3rd year I had him on camera..... and his smallest rack.....I belive he was 4 or five the first year I got him on cam..... so u do the math.... and his body looks like he's three..... the only true way to age a deer is by consistent history......
View attachment 35904

I agree with Zach. I'm still not convinced it's NOT Denali. The new pics I have look like a younger deer but I also vaguely see a double throat patch and that would be just too damn coincidental. Zach, did you listen to Don Higgens pod cast on wiredtohunt where he said the same thing?

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
View attachment 35904

By that pic I would guess that buck at least 6