Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cotty's Journal

Gordo

Athens County
I feel it too man. But a great thing about hunting is it only takes about 20 seconds for the outcome of a season to change. If it was easy we all wouldnt b obsessed with it.

Keep at it. Im in the same boat. Keep your confidence up

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Went out this morning. Had a 120" 8 chase and grunt. Never saw the doe, but I heard the chasing. He ended up coming back and offered me a chip shot. He's lucky he's not what I'm after.

I'm back out this evening with my buddy Kody. He wanted to come sit with me. How could I say no? So
We are on the top of a spoil bank hidden by some trees hoping one makes a mistake below us.

Last edited:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This evening we had a 4 point come through... then a doe... then the 4 point came back and chased the doe up the other side of the hill.

Does Seen: 57
Bucks Seen: 11 (1 shooter)
Deer Killed: 1 (5 pt buck by Kody)
Morning Hunts: 5
Evening Hunts: 17
All Day Sits: 2
Total Hunts: 24
Hours on Stand: 80

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I couldn't sit around the house any longer today. I snuck into my thicket stand.

To the west:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321219255.210880.jpg

To the north:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321219302.277672.jpg

The south

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321219354.834008.jpg

The east

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321219400.934966.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I really like that view to the south Mike! I can imagine a shooter coming from that direction just below that logging road. Goodluck!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Went out and sat in the blind tonight to stay dry. Had an up and comer stroll through around 3:30. A real nice 6 missing brows. I'll post some trail cam pics of him later. If he had brows he'd prob be close to 110".

Last edited:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here's the fella that was in range today. He walked past the blind within 10 yards. I wish Klay was with me this evening, but this one went by at 3:30 and he wouldn't have even been on stand yet.

Does Seen: 57
Bucks Seen: 12 (1 shooter)
Deer Killed: 1 (5 pt buck by Kody)
Morning Hunts: 5
Evening Hunts: 19
All Day Sits: 2
Total Hunts: 26
Hours on Stand: 84

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Did you have any rut action at all this year?

In person? A little..
One day I had a nice 8 make a scrape in front of me. He needed another year.
Another day I had a small 8 and a 4 point break up a threesome of doe.
Another day a different 8 came in below a thicket... Grunted, chased, then offered me a chip shot. But, he too needs another year or two.

On camera? Yes, but all at night. Lots of pics over scrapes and a chase on camera.

That's it... I never experienced a blow up in the woods that we all look for.

Why you ask? You have an idea or suggestion for me? I hope because I could use some help!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Keep at it Mike! The bottom of this rut has to drop out sooner rather than later. Coincidentally, I have YET up until my last day I hunted(nov. 14th) hear or see ANY grunting or chasing! Just cruising and milling. By the 14th of Nov.that is a first!!!! For me any way. WTH