Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Close call for sure

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Good thing I have done residential electric work in my past and use to be on a volunteer fire department years ago as well.
Also a good thing I have insomnia I guess too.

I was sitting at my desktop computer checking in on the site and the furnace kicked on and I hear an odd noise coming from the livingroom. Figured something must have fallen on the furnace vent behind the couch and was blowing around so I went to check it out. Seen a small piece of plastic floating around and removed it but the noise didn't go away. Looked over and seen the outlet that is a floor mounted outlet was sparking. WTF!!!!!

I quickly removed the 2 cords that were plugged in, tossed the couch into the middle of the livingroom, and sprinted downstairs to trip the breaker and cut the power. Didn't think to grab a light on my way down lol. Had to stumble and feel my way back out of the basement. Got back up to the livingroom and grabbed my cell phone for the light and checked to make sure there wasn't any flame. Went upstairs and woke the wife up and made her take her CPAP mask off and filled her in on what was going on. We both come back down to the livingroom and I checked the outlet and see that the cat had gotten behind the couch and had puked on the fugging outlet. The saliva had gotten down into the outlet and was touching the hot screw and was thick enough that it was arcing on the screw for the cover plate. Luckily I caught it in time and no damage was done. Had some extra outlets in the shed so I went and got one and replaced it. Turned the breaker back on and everything is as it should be and working just fine now thankfully.

This is the one time I'm glad for insomnia and not going to bed when the wife did. Had I gone to bed the house would have burned to the ground.

By the end of the month my house will be completely rewired and those fugging floor mounted outlets will be in the wall where they fuggin should be. I have no idea why old houses it was common to mount them in the fuggin floor. Never had any issues, money, or time to do the rewire but it's on the top of my list after this.

Just wanted to share just to save somebody else from any issues like this if they have these floor mounted outlets. Cost a lot less to rewire and mount wall outlets then to replace a house and lost property because of something small and stupid like this happening not to mention the possibility of loosing your life.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Damn bro....

Close call.

Fugging cats...

I wish mine would lick a socket

This is the last animal we have in the house and as soon as she is gone I will be a happy guy and will be able to replace the flooring in this house.

Had no idea cats puke as much as they do and add in the hairballs on top of that. Fuggin craziness. Had I known that 20 years ago I would have never had a cat in the house. Disgusting house pets and WAY worse then any of my dogs I have ever had.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Damn Adam! Glad you were awake when this happened, holy shit! I'm not really a fan of cats either, and we have 3 of the bastards, only one is cool.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Damn Adam! Glad you were awake when this happened, holy shit! I'm not really a fan of cats either, and we have 3 of the bastards, only one is cool.

That's what I said lmao. Just glad my training and knowledge kicked in and I went on auto pilot and did what needed to be done to stop it from getting worse then it was. Just really thankful I was awake and heard it.

Not a fan but we had 3 and we are finally down to the last one. Only one of them was cool and that was my Black cat that my dad gave us as a kitten a few months before my dad passed away. Had that cat for 17 years until he passed a few years ago. This one is that age now so I'm counting the days until she is gone. Nothing but a pain in the ass.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Nice catch!
When cats begin to puke regularly, it's not long for the world.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
One more reason in a list 7,789,654 items long why cats suck.

Glad it wasn't any worse Adam! That could have gone south fast! Just like me actually sitting on the shitter when the water supply line broke! Fortuitous timing!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Glad it wasn’t any worse then it was Adam... I’ve seen those outlets like that over the years... Cheaper to install after the fact then tearing into the walls... Not safer though...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang Adam, so glad it happened the way it went down for ya! That was meant to be buddy! God was looking out for you...:smiley_clap:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Glad it wasn’t any worse then it was Adam... I’ve seen those outlets like that over the years... Cheaper to install after the fact then tearing into the walls... Not safer though...

Figure that is why they are floor mounted. Most old houses only have 2 outlets per room and then when demand got higher they just pop one up thru the floor.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
My parents house has them and they are on a GFCI breaker. Might be a safe/less expensive fix for you.

Good catch!

GFCI breakers will be installed for the bedrooms in the breaker box. As far as the rewire of the floor mounted outlets, it's not a huge deal as they are only on the first floor and easy enough to just fish the wire up the wall from the basement. The house needs rewired anyway to be honest with you. When we got the house all the wires in the basement looked updated....until I went to change outlets in the upstairs and found some old wiring. Got to looking around and found more old cloth wrapped wiring in the attic. One of my biggest pet peeves is the old wiring where you flip a breaker and it shuts off half of one room and half of another room upstairs. Can't stand that and it drives me insane.

Figured it up a little bit ago and found it would cost me about 5-600 bucks to rewire the little bit of old wiring in the house and finally have everything separated and done. I have rewired some of the house while doing other projects over the years. Already have the kitchen and bathroom done. Just need to do the livingroom outlets and all 3 bedrooms and add a line for the central air I plan on getting this spring as well as a line out to the shed. Adding in the central air line and shed line might take me just over the 5-600 as I didn't figure that into the original cost and just thought about it as I was typing this lol.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Your lucky.
I’m still stuck with my wife’s 2 cats...
Can’t get rid of em cause she would haunt me but sure look forward to em being gone one day.

Glad you caught it as soon as u did