Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Climber rookie

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
I am buying a climber. What should I know? What's the ideal tree for a climber? Never used one before so feel free to talk to me as if I were an idiot. No comments from the peanut gallery. This is not the trash talking thread. I will be happy to exchange barbs with you there for those of you with height jokes and intelligence insults. ;)

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
check the weight of the stand and how compact it is when its folded up. Comfort is also important so pay attention to the sze of the seat and how adjustable it is.
my idea of an ideal tree is one that is about 16 inches in diameter at the base. the bark needs to be somewhat smooth so the straps wont catch on it as you climb, but not so smooth you have to worry about the stand getting a good bite into it. Poplar is my favorite as far as bark. I like to hunt about 20 to 25 feet up, so I like to find a tree that has a couple limbs in that area. When iI get to the limbs, i unstrap the top part of the stand and restrap it above the limbs. That allows me to get up into that much cover anyway. A slight lean in the tree, away from the direction you are facing helps with the comfort factor as well.

just keep in mind that the tree gets narrower as you go up. So at the base of the tree, put your platform on tilted back. That way as you climb and the tree gets thinner, the platform will level out.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have a Summit Viper and a Lone Wolf (from Dante, actually). I like them for both different reasons. I think some will chime in and tell you to get a stand and stick setup. I don't know much about them, but it's intriguing because you can climb pretty much any tree. No need to worry about low limbs.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Willy, I have a Summit and I like it. Dante covered some excellent points. Were I to buy a different climber I don't think I would have one which wraps around. I find the bar in front and all around me makes it a little tougher to bow hunt. I am all arms and legs. (No I am not going the short joke route.) When I keep the top and bottom closer together it is a chore to get up out of the seat but it is easier to use my bow. When the top and bottom are farther apart I can get out of the seat without as much movement but then the wrap around bar is in the way of my bow. That said, I have never used one of the open front climbers so I really can't speak on ease of use or difficulty.

One other note of interest: Once you use one you will realize your abs are not in as good of shape as you thought they were.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm fat. I have one ab. I've never noticed any difficulty while using climbers. Phil must be frail. Get a Summit, Willy. They are as good as any that I've tried, better than most. Lightweight, comfortable, tolerable to pack.

jwmartin

Get a summit openshot sd, its a great stand and pretty quite. It is easy to climb with if you cover the rails where your arms need to lay with pipe insulation and camo duck tape. Try not to climb a hickory with is cause the teeth may slip but other than that all the trees here in sc have been fine (of course without a lot of limbs to trim). I have shot from it sitting down with my compound with no problem. I like the lone wolf stands but think they are a bit pricey and not as easy to climb. I have owned both hand climbers and think the summit is the best. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
If I were to buy another it would be the Lone Wolf or the Summit Open Shot. Straight trees that taper slightly are what I look for. The more taper a tree has the bigger angle (/) the bottom of the stand has to start to get any kind of height.

Any tree with tough bark is hard to climb without being noisy and slipping.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great advise offered here Josh, can't add anymore than what was already posted.

Oh, the nice thing about climbers is during an all day hunt you can always keep the sun behind your tree and out of your eyes by moving your bow and bow hanger further around to the backside of the tree then turn and face your tree and strap your feet in and creep your stand on around to where you are back into the shade. Just be sure you can still shoot into your primary shooting lanes or windows without having surrounding limbs or your tree obstructing your shot.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
One piece of advice that I learned the hard way. Make sure you tie your top and bottom together. I found out the hard way what the extra peice of rope was for. Luckily I was trying it out at the house before I took it out to the woods. You get a lot of strange looks from your friends when you are sitting in the top and the bottom is halfway down the tree. The straps slipped off my feet as I was climbing and down she went.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
One thing I like about my lone Wolf is its adjustable while climbing. If I get to a big knot I sit on the upper section , reach down and unbuckle the band and loosen it then lock the buckle again and get around theknot. Once past I quickly tighten it back up . Its also nice cause once I get to the level I wanna hunt I can easily level the bottom platform . Ain't to much I can't climb with mine .

Schu72

Streetsboro
I usually climb maples and set up similar to Dante, other than I don't loop over the first branch. I use an open shot deluxe and would recommed the stand as long as you don't mind the small platform. Very comfortable seat and only 15lbs.

teej89

NE PA
I was actually going to buy a new climber this year cuz mine was almost 30# and 10 years old and bulky as hell. Well as soon as I started posting on here about it I got persuaded into getting a hang on. Man I'd seriously consider you getting a hangon. I feel safer once up in them and climbing sticks up and down a tree rather than hanging off the tree hoping the damn thing grips(i've had em slip) or I've had my foot come outta the platform and talk about a heart attack trying to reach down and grab the platform that's dangling by one foot when you're 25' up in a tree.

I'd say the biggest disadvantage to using a climber is that you're not hunting a spot, you're hunting a tree. You'll soon realize what I'm talking about. I can't count the amount of times I've found an awesome spot but due to tons of little 2" dia. branches sticking out of tree prevented me from getting up it.

Hang ons are fairly light, get some LW climbing sticks and make yourself one of these rope ladders to get rid of one of your sticks

If I had my climber last weekend I definitely wouldn't have been able to hunt anywhere near this spot, well then I wouldn't have gotten poison ivy either lol

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
Thanks fellas! I've got all of the other types of stands, I've just never used a climber and thought it might be fun. But before getting one I like to hear all the thoughts of the resident experts. Lots of really great tips on here. Appreciate it!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have an Ol Man stand hanging in the garage that I never use anymore. Its comfortable and folds fairly flat for packing. You're welcome to it if you'd like to try the thing out when you come north.

loose_is_fast

McClure
summit titan I love it you can sit in it all day if you want and be comfortable. honestly though most of the time I am turned toward the tree half standing and half sitting on the rail that way you are always ready for a quick encounter.