Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cell Phone Cameras... Interesting Fact...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Found out something very interesting the other day.... How many knew that when you post a cell phone pic on social media and you have the gps function on on your phone.... YOU JUST TOLD THE WORLD WHERE THAT PIC WAS TAKEN!!!!! There goes your hunting spot... Not exactly sure how its done.... But be carefull as your smart phone could be your worst enemy...

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I am thinking you are referring to geotagging.

If using an iPhone, go into Settings-Location Services- make sure "Never" is showing for 'Camera'.

IMG_0012.jpg

Anyone know if this turns it off completely or is more required?

Fletch

Supporting Member
I'm sure there are ways that it can be shut off... But I'll still refrain from using the cell phone in certain honey holes.. That's what I have a camera in my pack for..

Gordo

Athens County
I'm sure it was covered in the 'agree to terms and conditions' BS.

Our phones are 'scary' smart.

Rant over.

Like others said, hitting that option should eliminate the geotagging and not allow Joe Blow to be able to see the exact location of pics takin.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well y'all that have the "smart" tv's that have the cameras on them need to be cautious as well.... If I owned one there'd be a piece of black tape of that lens lol

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Got a google echo dot in a Christmas care gift just before Christmas. I joked with a few of the Marketing guys that in order for it to work, it had to be listening. I sold it for $30, and then proceed to see the FBI wanting access to one for case evidence the next week....hell no.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I got a new phone not long ago. When looking in my photo gallery I noticed that it had marked the exact location of each pic taken, I quickly disabled that bullshit!

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Well y'all that have the "smart" tv's that have the cameras on them need to be cautious as well.... If I owned one there'd be a piece of black tape of that lens lol
My mom told me about that

Fletch

Supporting Member

How about the PC I have tape over that...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
lol... I'm rarely on that lol... That ones on the wife lol She uses it I might be on it once a week or so.....

coyote08

Another option would be to crop the picture in Paint, and save as a new jpeg. Then it shouldn't have the GPS info in the new cropped photo file. I sometimes crop my photos from my homebrew cams anyways.