Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cattle fencing time

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I wouldn't call it fancy if it's what I'm thinking he does. Usually its just a length of wire with a plastic handle that has a spring in it and a metal hook on the end. You just grab the handle and pull to release tension and then unhook it.

I did just that on this job since it is a inside gate. But My outside line gates are 5-6 wires with insulators on each end and center 4 wires are electric connected. One ended is attached to a wood post and the other end I use either a T-post or a cedar post. There is a double loop of high tension wire at the top and bottom of the end wood post. Stick the bottom of the gate post into the bottom wire loop and pull fence tight and slip the top wire loop over the top end of the post.

This type of free gates is the only type we seen out in WY and SD on the cattle ranches we shot PD's on. They use barb wire out west but my cattle crawl right though barb wire gates I made up so I use electric. Never had a cattle challenge one in 20 yrs I've been using them.

No idea how Sunday's turkey in my back yard got posted.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Moved the cattle down to summer pasture. They just stood in front of the electric gate and I opened it up and they went down just like clock work.
Then move 3 water tanks, 2 salt blocks, and move the electric fence charger down and hook up.
Got the electric fence up and running at about 75%. Probably take a while to burn off the touching honey suckle limbs.

Rather far away in waist high grass-clover.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I did just that on this job since it is a inside gate. But My outside line gates are 5-6 wires with insulators on each end and center 4 wires are electric connected. One ended is attached to a wood post and the other end I use either a T-post or a cedar post. There is a double loop of high tension wire at the top and bottom of the end wood post. Stick the bottom of the gate post into the bottom wire loop and pull fence tight and slip the top wire loop over the top end of the post.

This type of free gates is the only type we seen out in WY and SD on the cattle ranches we shot PD's on. They use barb wire out west but my cattle crawl right though barb wire gates I made up so I use electric. Never had a cattle challenge one in 20 yrs I've been using them.

Pictures to follow..

Got ya i've seen those too. Dang good design if you ask me amd way less hassle than a big metal gate. The good ones I've seen all had wood post anchor posts on each end, the T post ones would always bow and let the gate sag if they didn't have a tension wire ran at the top.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Got ya i've seen those too. Dang good design if you ask me amd way less hassle than a big metal gate. The good ones I've seen all had wood post anchor posts on each end, the T post ones would always bow and let the gate sag if they didn't have a tension wire ran at the top.

I make my outside gate openings 20 ft wide. Put these gates across the opening and put a temporary T-post in the center and that gives me 10 ft drive through. I keep the wires rather tight with little sag.